Bin Laden's driver walks out on terror trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Bin Laden's driver walks out on terror trial

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

July 23, 2008 06:29 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Osama bin Laden's driver walked out of his terror trial Wednesday rather than watch prosecutors show a video of his first U.S. interrogation, in Afghanistan in November 2001.

Three guards rushed to their feet and surrounded Salim Hamdan, 37, as he stood at the defense table within a minute of the start of the video.

The interrogation shows Hamdan, with a trim black beard, sitting cross-legged on the cement floor of a nondescript room — a Special Forces soldier over Hamdan's right shoulder holding an assault rifle.

Hamdan's hands are bound in front of him. The room is slightly illuminated by natural light. Unidentified military personnel put a bag over his head as they remove him from his first interrogation session.

Hamdan's defense lawyer, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brian Mizer, has said he believes that his client is the first Arab captured in the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan -- and the video is the first recorded interrogation.

The interrogator, who sounds like an American speaking learned Arabic, is out of the picture. The face of the soldier guarding him is obscured by a black mask.

In it, Hamdan is evasive, and says he is in Afghanistan for a charity called Wafa. He agrees with his interrogator that there were surface-to-air missiles in his car. But he said he had borrowed the car, and didn't think it was a problem.

Moreover, he does not offer that he is bin Laden's driver.

Hamdan asked to be removed from the courtroom after proclaiming that, in his absence, his lawyers cannot speak for him. He had earlier threatened to boycott his trial, and impose those conditions on his five-member defense team.

''It sounds like Mr. Hamdan doesn't want to watch the video,'' said Judge Keith Allred, a Navy captain presiding at the war crimes trial.

He then addresses the Yemeni who is accused of conspiring with al Qaeda and providing material support for terror:

''We're going to watch the video this afternoon because it has been admitted into evidence and is going to be showed to the members,'' he said.

''I'm going to find that the defendant is waiving his right to be present this afternoon and excuse himself from the courtroom,'' he said.

Then he instructed the guards to escort Hamdan.

As he left, at 3:45 p.m., the judge called out: ``I'll see you in the morning, Mr. Hamdan.''

He then instructed the prosecution, ``Press the play button.''

Hamdan's trial began Monday, after the sides agreed on a six-member military jury, called a commission, of three colonels and three lieutenant colonels. Conviction could carry life in prison.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service