Federal wind insurance prospects poor this year | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Federal wind insurance prospects poor this year

Maria Recio - The Sun Herald

September 23, 2008 06:55 AM

WASHINGTON _ Rep. Gene Taylor's relentless two-year campaign to secure wind coverage as part of the federal flood insurance program is on the verge of failure, a victim of vicious opposition in the Senate, of suspicions about a new government program and ultimately, of bad timing.

"It looks like there will be an extension of the present program," said Taylor, D-Miss., in an interview. The National Flood Insurance Program expires Sept. 30 unless Congress acts and lawmakers, anxious to help victims of hurricanes Ike and Gustav, are looking for a simple extension - with no policy changes - while they focus on the $700 billion Wall Street bailout.

"The important thing is that the program would not lapse," Taylor said. House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, D-Mass., said last week that he wanted a seven-month extension until April 30. He introduced a bill late last week, H.R. 6965, that would extend the program by April 30. It may be on the House floor as soon as today, although Taylor aide Brian Martin said a vote was more likely Wednesday.

Congress is set to adjourn Friday for the elections and House and Senate conferees trying to work out differences in the differing flood insurance bills passed by each chamber are not close to agreement - especially on wind coverage.

"I'm still hopeful we can get a deal, but with the remainder of the schedule likely to be consumed by the problems facing our nation's financial system, the flood insurance program may be extended into next year without the multiple-peril provision Rep. Taylor and I worked to include," said Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss.

Wicker said he would continue to work on a solution and Taylor was resigned to having to start again next year.

With the lawmakers on the House and Senate banking committees who oversee flood insurance focused on the financial bailout legislation, congressional sources said a seven-month extension was likely to pass.

The Senate Banking Committee did not consider the wind provision last October when it approved a bill. When Wicker tried to attach it to the flood insurance program on the Senate floor, his amendment was soundly defeated 74-19.

Gulf Coast residents, recovering from Hurricane Katrina, discovered that insurers often would not recognize wind damage but immediately implemented the federal flood damage payments, which they administer.

The proposed wind program, the target of insurers, has also drawn criticism from Americans for Smart Natural Catastrophe Policy, a coalition of environmental, consumer, taxpayer and insurance organizations.

"It's incredibly expensive and encourages development where it shouldn't happen," said Eli Lehrer, senior fellow of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, which is part of the coalition.

Lehrer said the latest study estimates the wind program, in a year with a catastrophic hurricane, would cost $140 billion.

Read the full story at sunherald.com.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service