Pentagon drops charges against 5 held at Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Pentagon drops charges against 5 held at Guantanamo

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

October 21, 2008 02:31 PM

The Bush administration's top official overseeing military commissions has dismissed war crimes charges against five men at Guantanamo, a military commissions spokesman said Tuesday.

The development followed the high-profile resignation of a case prosecutor, Army Lt. Col. Darrel Vandeveld, who had protested internally against going forward in the case of a sixth man, a young Afghan.

Among those who had charges dropped were Noor Uthman Muhammed, a Sudanese whose age is not known; Binyam Mohammed, 30, an Ethiopian-born former British resident; Sufiyan Barhoumi, 35, an Algerian; and Saudis Ghassan Sharbi, 33, and Jabran al Qahtani, 31.

Susan Crawford, an official who holds the title of Convening Authority for Military Commissions, signed the paperwork that canceled the charges on Monday.

Four of the five men were captured in a U.S.-Pakistani raid on Faisalabad, Pakistan, in March 2002 at an alleged al Qaeda safe house -- at the same time as alleged arch-terrorist Abu Zubaydah.

The CIA separated Abu Zubaydah from the others and, director Gen. Michael Hayden has revealed, subjected him to harsh interrogation techniques authorized by President Bush, among them the use of waterboarding to break his will in secret overseas custody. He has never been charged.

No explanation was provided for why the charges were dismissed all at once. All five men had not been charged jointly as co-conspirators, and their cases combined constituted about one-fourth of the cases that had been publicly disclosed for prosecution and trial at Guantánamo.

Pretrial hearings are being held there this week in the case of Canadian Omar Khadr, 22, accused of the grenade killing of a Special Forces soldier in Afghanistan in July 2002. He was 15 at the time.

A trial is also scheduled for next week in the case of Osama bin Laden's confessed media secretary -- Ali Hamza al Bahlul of Yemen. Bahlul has pledged a no-contest trial, decrying the U.S. authority to charge him with crimes he argues are illegitimate.

War court spokesman Joseph DellaVedova noted that the charges against the five men were dismissed ''without prejudice,'' meaning the Defense Department could at any time charge the men again with war crimes.

DellaVedova said the Pentagon's chief war crimes prosecutor, Army Col. Lawrence Morris, "recently appointed new trial teams who will review all available material, coordinate with intelligence agencies and recommend appropriate courses of action in each case.''

Prosecutors had prepared the earlier cases against all five men during the tenure of Air Force Brig. Gen. Thomas Hartmann, who emerged as a controversial figure and target for complaints during his year-plus role as legal advisor to the process.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Florida welcome awaits Guantanamo prisoners from China

October 17, 2008 02:53 PM

national

No death penalty trial for alleged embassy bomber

October 03, 2008 06:35 PM

world

Prosecutors seek to reverse war court sentence

October 03, 2008 06:32 PM

national

Alleged 9/11 architect: Guantanamo court an 'inquisition'

September 24, 2008 03:35 PM

national

Canadian won't be tried at Guantanamo until after election

September 16, 2008 02:43 PM

national

Judge bans general from Guantanamo trial role

August 14, 2008 01:57 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service