Venezuelan found guilty in Miami in suitcase of cash case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Venezuelan found guilty in Miami in suitcase of cash case

Jay Weaver - Miami Herald

November 03, 2008 04:25 PM

A Venezuelan businessman was found guilty Monday of conspiracy and acting as an unregistered government agent for Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez in a Miami case that has been closely watched in South America.

The verdict came in Miami federal court on the seventh day of deliberations by a 12-member jury in the trial dubbed ''Suitcase-gate.'' The case has drawn keen interest in Latin America.

Jurors agreed with federal prosecutors that Franklin Duran came to South Florida last year on behalf of the Venezuelan government to silence a business associate about a cash-filled suitcase intended for the campaign of Argentine President Cristina de Kirschner.

The investigation that led to Duran's arrest came after the business associate, Guido Alejandro Antonini Wilson, returned to Miami in the days after the cash was discovered. He went to the FBI and agreed to wear a wire.

Duran, Carlos Kauffmann and two other men -- Moises Maionica and Rodolfo Wanseele Paciello -- were later arrested, and all but Duran pleaded guilty and cooperated with the prosecution.

A fifth man, Jose Canchica Gomez, was charged in the case and is still at large.

Duran, 41, faces up to 15 years in prison if he is convicted. Sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 12.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service