City of Raleigh adapts to drop in sales | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

City of Raleigh adapts to drop in sales

David Bracken - Raleigh News & Observer

November 13, 2008 07:06 AM

Raleigh City Manager Russell Allen said this week that the city will continue to rein in spending as it braces for a decline in sales-tax revenue.

"We don't know what the trend in sales tax is going to be," Allen said. "We don't know how the state's going to deal with their budget and whether or not that's going to have any impact on us."

The latest sales-tax revenue numbers will be released Friday and will include most purchases made in September. During the current fiscal year, which began July 1, Raleigh's sales tax revenue has increased about 5 percent over last year, which is what the city's 2009 budget projected.

But Allen and other city leaders expect those numbers to get worse before they get better.

The U.S. stock market declined 17.7 percent in October, its worst month since a 23 percent drop in October 1987. And the jobless rate for Durham, Johnston, Orange and Wake counties climbed to 5.6 percent in September, the highest since June 2003.

"We're being cautious right now," Mayor Charles Meeker said. "We're waiting to see if this is going to be a real big downturn or a small bump in the road."

Read the complete story at newsobserver.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service