Progress in bloom where Katrina destroyed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Progress in bloom where Katrina destroyed

Melissa M. Scallan - Biloxi Sun Herald

November 17, 2008 07:42 AM

When Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Coast more than three years ago, it destroyed the heart of downtown Long Beach, demolishing city buildings and businesses and leaving Jeff Davis Avenue in ruins.

Since then, a few businesses have returned and traffic along one of the city's main thoroughfares has picked up.

But within two months, a project to revamp Jeff Davis will begin - one that city officials hope will lure more businesses to downtown.

At Tuesday's meeting, the Board of Aldermen is set to award bids for the Jeff Davis work, which includes replacing water and sewer lines, as well as storm drains. The street will get new curbs and sidewalks with brick paving at intersections.

Utilities will be placed underground, Mayor Billy Skellie said, including power, phone and cable lines. Decorative street lights also will be installed.

The city will add sidewalks one block east and west of Jeff Davis along Second, Third and Fourth streets.

"I'm excited because we're finally seeing something happening," Skellie said.

The $6 million project will be paid for by FEMA and Community Development Block Grant funds. It will take about a year to complete the work.

Read the complete story at sunherald.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service