O.J.'s sentenced to 33 years; 'I'm sorry for all of it' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

O.J.'s sentenced to 33 years; 'I'm sorry for all of it'

Evan S. Benn and Clark Spencer - Miami Herald

December 05, 2008 01:49 PM

LAS VEGAS — Wearing a jail-issued blue jumpsuit and shaking his legs nervously, O.J. Simpson heard a judge mete out a prison sentence Friday that could run anywhere from nine to 33 years for his armed robbery and kidnapping conviction.

Simpson's co-defendant, C.J. Stewart, will serve somewhere from seven and a half to 27 years after prosecutors told the judge Stewart was ''less culpable'' than Simpson in a September 2007 incident in a hotel room off the Strip.

''I want to say I'm sorry and somewhat confused,'' an emotional Simpson said in court Friday, his voice breaking. "I feel apologetic to the people of the state of Nevada.''

Simpson, 61, and Stewart, 54, who have been jailed since a jury found them guilty on Oct. 3, will begin their sentences immediately. District Judge Jackie Glass denied motions from defense attorneys to release the men pending their appeals to the Nevada Supreme Court.

''I believe they're both flight risks,'' Glass said.

Glass could have sentenced Simpson and Stewart to life in prison. Earlier in the week, court officials recommended they serve 18 years. Under Glass's sentence, Simpson will be eligible for parole in nine years and Stewart in seven and a half.

Simpson spoke in court for several minutes, explaining his story and what led him to confront two sports-memorabilia dealers at the Palace Station Hotel & Casino last year.

''I came here for a wedding, I didn't come here to reclaim property. I was told it was here,'' Simpson said. "This was the first time I had the opportunity to catch these guys red-handed who had been stealing from my family.

''I realize I was stupid, and I'm sorry,'' he continued. "I didn't know I was doing anything illegal. I'm sorry for all of it.''

Glass took a shot at Simpson before reading her sentence:

''At a bail hearing for Mr. Simpson, I said I didn't know if he was arrogant, ignorant or both. Through the trial, I got the answer, and it was both,'' Glass said. "At the time of this event, and at the time I saw you at the bail hearing, it was clear to the court that you believed you could do in Las Vegas what you couldn't do elsewhere: You could get your stuff back.''

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service