Deaths raise questions: Is it safe to watch 'monster trucks?' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Deaths raise questions: Is it safe to watch 'monster trucks?'

Natasha Derrick - The (Columbia) State

January 29, 2009 07:31 AM

Monster Jam engines will roar to life this weekend at the Colonial Life Arena, but it is safety — not speed — that is the main concern following two deadly accidents earlier this month.

Six-year-old Sebastian Hizey was killed by flying debris during a Monster Jam event in Tacoma, Wash. And a promoter for Motor Sports Monster Truck and Thrill Show, George Eisenhart Jr., was killed at a show last week in Madison, Wis., when he stepped in front of a truck.

Despite those accidents, no extra safety measures are being taken by Monster Jam or the Colonial Life Arena.

"Know that safety is, and has been, our No. 1 priority," said Amy McWethy, a spokeswoman for Monster Jam promoter Feld Motors Sports. "Again, we feel that the incident was tragic and that we are definitely looking into it. We feel all the safety measures we have in place do work."

Approximately three million people per year attend Monster Jam events across the country. The show has been coming to Columbia for 20 years, McWethy said, with about 15,000 attending last year.McWethy says the Tacoma accident was an anomaly.

"It was one of those things that had never happened before in 25 years of Monster Jam events," she said.

Read the complete story at thestate.com

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service