Tale of shackled boy's savage torture told in documents | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Tale of shackled boy's savage torture told in documents

Cynthia Hubert and Bill Lindelof - Sacramento Bee

February 04, 2009 03:22 PM

More than 100 pages of documents made public by a California state court detail how a teenage boy escaped his captors and what officers seized with search warrants.

The search warrants on two Tracy residences revealed that the boy was being driven around in leg chains in a white SUV before he found a key and was able to escape. The boy secretly unlocked the chains, jumped from the car at a stop light and fled.

The boy told officers he didn't know what city he was in when he made his getaway. He ended up at a Tracy health club where he sought help.

In addition, the boy told detectives that he ran from a Sacramento group home in May 2007. While walking along a highway, he was kidnapped by two strangers and put into a car — and then apparently taken to Tracy.

His alleged kidnappers were male and may have been Spanish speakers, according to what he told detectives.

A partial list of what officers seized with the search warrants included cell phones, blue tape, suspected marijuana, a camcorder, a knife, a disposable camera, a belt with a buckle and an aluminum bat.

The teenage boy who allegedly was held captive and tortured in a Tracy home for more than a year was frequently beaten, denied food for days at a time and forced to stay for long periods inside a wood-burning fireplace, according to a narrative accompanying the search warrants.

When found, the warrant said, the boy appeared much younger than his 16 years due to malnourishment and his body was covered with soot, sores and new and old scars. The boy, according to the warrant request, told officers he had been regularly hit on the head with a baseball bat and was once cut with a knife and strangled with a belt until he passed out.

One one occasion, he was asleep and chained to the fireplace when a person purposefully ignited the hearth, resulting in significant burns to his left arm.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Teen who escaped to gym was tortured, Calif. police say

December 03, 2008 08:34 PM

national

Judge orders release of documents in shackled boy case

February 02, 2009 06:41 PM

national

Documents detail horrific abuse of shackled California teen

December 05, 2008 08:03 AM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service