N. Carolina man admits fraud in sales of human tissue | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

N. Carolina man admits fraud in sales of human tissue

Sarah Avery - Raleign News & Observer

March 09, 2009 04:49 PM

RALEIGH — A man who ran a human tissue harvesting company in Raleigh pleaded guilty Monday to federal mail fraud charges, stemming from allegations that he fabricated the identities of tissue donors to hide their diseases.

Philip Joe Guyett Jr., 41, could receive up to 60 years in prison for three counts of mail fraud when he is sentenced June 1. He entered the guilty plea during a brief appearance before U.S. District Judge Earl Britt, who allowed him to remain free on bail pending his sentencing.

Guyett said little in court except to answer a series of questions from Britt about the plea. He had to give up his passport, though the prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney Banumathi Rangarajan, stipulated that he is not a flight risk. Guyett also agreed to cooperate with investigators looking into his handling of human tissue, which he procured and sent to processors.

He was charged with falsifying blood samples "for tissue he knew would be otherwise rejected for purchase because the presence of infectious or communicable diseases would be detected in the donor blood sample."

Guyet ran a company called Donor Referral Services until it was shut down in 2006. Prosecutors said that in documents sent to processors via Federal Express between March and December 2005, he lied about the deceased donors' ages, causes of deaths, and medical histories, including whether the donors suffered from communicable diseases.

The case raised alarms about the safety of donated body parts used in more than 1.5 million knee reconstructions, heart valve repairs, skin grafts and other procedures each year.

In a notice sent nationally in August 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said no illnesses had been reported as a result of the case.

Guyett, who has moved to California, previously denied wrongdoing and said that he was being unfairly targeted by a federal agency that lacks clear rules on tissue trade and has little record of enforcing them.

Read the full story at newsobserver.com

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service