Fort Lewis soldier faces charges over girl found dead on base | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Fort Lewis soldier faces charges over girl found dead on base

The News Tribune

March 10, 2009 04:24 PM

TACOMA, Wash. — A 19-year-old Fort Lewis soldier will face a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a high school sophomore whose body was found on the post last month, the Army announced Tuesday.

Timothy E. Bennitt, a native of Indiana, also has been charged with wrongful distribution and use of controlled substances and conspiracy to wrongfully use controlled substances.

The case will be presented for a hearing similar to that of a civilian grand jury. Bennitt could face court-martial as a result of the hearing. He could face 82 years in prison.

Leah King, a Lakes High School sophomore, was found dead at a post barracks early Feb. 15. Investigators determined the teen died of a toxic combination of Xanax, which is used to treat panic disorders, and Opana, a pain reliever. Some of the drugs were inhaled.

Another 16-year-old girl was found unresponsive at the same time and was released from a hospital after treatment. Both girls were acquainted with a soldier living in the barracks.

Army investigators suspect Bennitt, who reported to Fort Lewis in December 2007, was dealing to other soldiers.

Fort Lewis officials also announced a new process for gate entry to the base amid reports of girls sneaking onto the base. Minors must sign in at visitor's center. There will be tougher screening, officials said.

Read the full story at thenewstribune.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service