Dispute holds up funds for 'shovel-ready' Everglades project | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Dispute holds up funds for 'shovel-ready' Everglades project

Curtis Morgan - Miami Herald

June 16, 2009 10:56 PM

MIAMI — The Obama administration has pledged to spend nearly half a billion dollars on Everglades restoration over the next two years, a record amount, including $103 million set aside for stimulus projects picked because they are "shovel-ready."

The shovels are indeed ready to go in places such as the Picayune Strand in Southwest Florida, where a massive subdivision that failed decades ago will be turned back into 55,000 acres of wetlands.

But President Barack Obama's budget monitors aren't as ready to let the money flow.

The White House Office of Management and Budget has blocked money for Picayune, first in line in a series of stalled restoration projects, over concerns about a new deal that state and federal agencies cut to split the bill.

It's an accounting dispute over land values, with hundreds of millions in federal funding for the Glades potentially at stake.

After nearly four years of negotiations with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the South Florida Water Management District late last week approved a "master agreement" that spells out how the state and federal governments calculate cost-sharing.

District board members urged the White House to quickly follow suit. "We have a real sense of urgency here," said Shannon Estenoz, a board member from Plantation. "It's basically everybody is on board and the OMB has to make a decision."

Read more at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Salazar tours Everglades, champions federal funding

May 28, 2009 05:01 PM

politics-government

Bill aims to keep Everglades free of exotic pets

May 18, 2009 06:58 AM

national

Florida officials approve scaled-down Everglades land deal

May 14, 2009 09:33 AM

national

Federal spending planned for Everglades, Fla. beaches

May 08, 2009 01:17 PM

politics-government

Crist downsizes Everglades restoration land deal

March 26, 2009 06:51 AM

national

Tax decline may sink Everglades rescue deal

March 10, 2009 08:09 AM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service