Former St. HOPE official's obstruction of justice claim probed by FBI | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Former St. HOPE official's obstruction of justice claim probed by FBI

Melody Gutierrez, Denny Walsh and Ryan Lillis - The Sacramento Bee

June 17, 2009 06:33 AM

SACRAMENTO, California — The FBI's Sacramento division is investigating a former St. HOPE executive's allegations of obstruction of justice, Acting U.S. Attorney Lawrence G. Brown confirmed Tuesday.

The news fuels the controversy that has followed Mayor Kevin Johnson since 2008, when his brainchild St. HOPE Academy first was investigated for misuse of public funds.

That investigation appeared to end in April when Brown's office announced a settlement with Johnson, St. HOPE and former executive director Dana Gonzalez.

The settlement, hotly contested by the office of the inspector general for the federal Corporation for National and Community Service, required the repayment of more than $400,000 in misused grants for AmeriCorps volunteers.

However, Rick Maya, who officially left his position as executive director with St. HOPE last week, alleged in an April resignation letter that a member of the charter schools' board deleted Johnson's e-mails during the federal investigation. Those claims, uncovered by a public records request by The Bee, caught the interest of Brown's office, who asked the FBI's Sacramento division to look into it.

"The FBI has, in fact, opened an investigation of the circumstances surrounding the alleged destruction of e-mails, and is working with criminal prosecutors in this office," Brown said in a statement to The Bee. "Beyond confirming the existence of an investigation, we are not at liberty to discuss the details of the investigation."

Johnson's office and an attorney who represented St. HOPE Academy during the AmeriCorps investigation both said they would cooperate fully with what they characterized as a "preliminary inquiry" by the FBI.

"We are … confident the inquiry will quickly confirm that nothing inappropriate occurred," said attorney Malcolm Segal.

To read the complete article, visit www.sacbee.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Did Sacramento mayor's ties to Obama get investigator fired?

June 16, 2009 06:42 AM

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service