Iran situation hits home for Iranians in U.S. | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Iran situation hits home for Iranians in U.S.

Carl Lewis - The Macon Telegraph

June 23, 2009 12:49 PM

MACON, Ga. — It's been 30 years since Macon resident Seyedmehdi Mobini left his home in northern Iran to attend school in the United States, but the memories are still vivid in his mind.

"I remember it like it was yesterday," he said.

In 1978, Mobini and his wife risked their lives by taking part in protests against the Shah of Iran as part of the Iranian Revolution.

Now, amid another political crisis in Iran, the Mobinis never figured they would still be living in America.

"We were afraid to go back to Iran, so we stayed here. Unfortunately, we still have family over there now, and they're all pretty afraid," he said.

Mobini, a professor at Fort Valley State University, is one of many Iranian natives living in Middle Georgia.

And like Mobini, many of these locals have family members stuck in the current turmoil following President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed election victory earlier this month.

"My brother is in Tehran in the middle of the violence. Nobody is safe there. If he goes out on the street, he risks getting shot or beaten or stabbed or kidnapped," Mobini said.

Mobini said that before the election protests, he frequently e-mailed relatives in Iran, but now he can only call them.

"You can't discuss things over the phone. They're all bugged. For a while, I was talking to some of my family through Facebook, but (the Iranian government) has even shut that down now," Mobini said.

Difficulty communicating with people in Iran in recent weeks is not an isolated phenomenon.

To read the complete article, visit www.macon.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Iranian hard-liners attempt to shut down opposition movement

June 23, 2009 08:13 PM

world

Obama condemns Iran in strongest language yet

June 23, 2009 12:56 PM

politics-government

Ex-shah's son urges louder protest of Iran rights abuses

June 22, 2009 06:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

In-depth reporting on Iran from McClatchy

June 16, 2009 10:32 AM

HOMEPAGE

Nieman Reports on Iran's Election

June 09, 2009 08:06 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service