Miami judge won't release video of Donte Stallworth's DUI | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Miami judge won't release video of Donte Stallworth's DUI

David Ovalle - Miami Herald

July 03, 2009 06:54 AM

A Miami-Dade judge on Thursday refused to release surveillance video that captured NFL player Donte Stallworth's car striking and killing a pedestrian who was crossing the MacArthur Causeway.

Stallworth, 28, is serving 30 days in a Miami-Dade jail after pleading guilty last month to DUI manslaughter in the drunk driving death of Mario Reyes, 59.

Reyes's family members and prosecutors had asked that the video be withheld because its posting on the Internet or broadcast on television would cause emotional trauma, especially for Reyes' 15-year-old daughter.

Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy agreed, saying the video was ''akin to autopsy photos or akin to the depiction of a crime scene,'' which can be restricted by a judge under state law.

Miami-Dade prosecutors say Stallworth's blood alcohol level was .126, well above the legal limit, when his Bentley hit and killed Reyes on the morning of March 14. Sources have said Stallworth's lab tests also showed he had used marijuana.

According to his plea deal, Stallworth must also serve two years of house arrest and eight more on probation. His plea deal does not prohibit him from playing football after he gets out of jail, although, for now, the NFL has suspended him indefinitely.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service