Will Michigan prison become Guantanamo alternative? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Will Michigan prison become Guantanamo alternative?

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

August 12, 2009 07:07 PM

Demonstrating that it's still determined to bring Guantamamo captives to U.S. soil, the Obama administration on Wednesday sent a team to inspect a remote maximum-security prison in Michigan as a potential alternative to its prison camps in Cuba.

The Thursday morning tour by officials from the Pentagon, Departments of Justice and Homeland Security, and the Bureau of Prisons marks the first official site survey since President Barack Obama on Jan. 22 ordered his Cabinet to close the controversial prison camps within the year.

Since then, politicians from many communities with jails and prisons that might be pressed into service have systematically tried to block the camps' closure.

But tiny rural Standish, Mich., 145 miles northwest of Detroit has been less resistant. Its 19-year-old, 600-bed state-run Standish Maximum Correctional Facility is being mothballed as extra prison space and the community is eager to keep it open for the water and sewage revenues it might bring.

``This visit is intended only to gather information about the facility,'' an Obama administration official, who was not authorized to discuss the trip, told The Miami Herald. ``Multiple options are being considered.''

Obama administration officials have stressed that no U.S. lock-ups have been selected for the up to 229 war on terror detainees now held at Guanta1namo.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

congress

Skelton voices concern over Guantanamo prisoners at Leavenworth

August 10, 2009 06:19 PM

national

Judge: 9/11 plotter's counsel can't know how CIA treated him

August 10, 2009 02:46 PM

national-security

Civilian trials won't be cake walks for Guantanamo detainees

August 07, 2009 02:19 PM

national

Portugal to resettle 2 Syrians from Guantanamo

August 07, 2009 12:48 PM

congress

Kansas GOP senators step up efforts to keep detainees out

August 06, 2009 07:23 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service