Probe: Yemeni detainee at Guantanamo committed suicide | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Probe: Yemeni detainee at Guantanamo committed suicide

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

October 06, 2009 04:57 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- A Navy criminal investigation has concluded that a Yemeni man found dead in the Guantanamo prison camps' psychiatric ward in June committed suicide, the detention center commander said Tuesday.

Navy Rear Adm. Tom Copeman declined to specify the method but said Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, 31, "unfortunately but successfully committed suicide'' inside the prison camp's 12-cell Behavioral Health Unit on June 1.

The Yemeni had been described at the time as a long-committed hunger striker who had been held at this remote detention center since early 2002 on suspicion of ties to the Taliban.

The death had been listed as an "apparent suicide'' soon after prison camp staff discovered him "unresponsive and not breathing.'' Different accounts attributed the cause of death, alternately, to asphyxiation and a drug overdose. Saleh's body was returned to Yemen for burial the same week, after an autopsy.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service forwarded its findings to Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser, the commander of the U.S. Southern Command in Miami, which supervises the prison camps where five detainees have reportedly killed themselves since June 2006.

Copeman said the episode prompted changes "procedurally, to process and training'' that would "hopefully lower the risk'' of a similar episode.

The detention center detainee census was at 223 on Tuesday, with Obama administration sources reporting that several captives already cleared for release would soon be sent overseas for resettlement in undisclosed nations.

In June 2006, three detainees committed suicide by hanging themselves simultaneously inside three nearby cells in Camp 1, a startling episode that led to a sweeping review of cell block procedures that now require guards to keep constant watch on each of the detainees.

A fourth detainee was found dead the next year in Camp 5 in an apparent suicide that was still under investigation, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brook DeWalt, a Guantánamo spokesman. A senior camp officer said at the time that detainee hanged himself also.

Separately, Copeman said Tuesday that he was aware of a federal judge's order to release videotapes from November 2002 that gave a window into the harsh Guantánamo interrogation of a Saudi detainee, Mohammed Qahtani, whose treatment was considered "torture'' by a senior Pentagon official.

Copeman said, however, that detention center staff had searched their records and found no evidence that the Department of Defense was in possession of those interrogation videos.

"I'm not saying they don't exist,'' the admiral said. "I'm just saying to the best of our knowledge down here, based on the time we've had to look into it, there's nothing in our history files that indicates we've ever seen then, taken them or had them in our possession.''

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Five 9/11 terror suspects boycott Guantanamo hearing

July 16, 2009 06:35 PM

national

Fearful Guantanamo captive wants to stay behind

July 07, 2009 08:03 PM

congress

Kansas GOP senators step up efforts to keep detainees out

August 06, 2009 07:23 PM

politics-government

Where's Pentagon 'terrorism suspect'? Talking to Karzai

July 07, 2009 05:23 PM

national-security

Civilian trials won't be cake walks for Guantanamo detainees

August 07, 2009 02:19 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service