At Camp Lejeune, Marines are ready to go | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

At Camp Lejeune, Marines are ready to go

Martha Quillin - McClatchy Newspapers

December 01, 2009 07:14 PM

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — In this town, where nearly everyone wears a Marine uniform or has a friend or family member in the corps, people seemed relieved Tuesday that President Barack Obama had decided to increase U.S. troop strength in Afghanistan.

"Get it over with and bring 'em home," said Nellie Matson, who's retired from the Marine Corps, along with her husband and son-in-law, all of whom live in Jacksonville. Matson said all three would watch the president's address Tuesday night to hear him say he'd send 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, the first of them Marines from Camp Lejeune, to try to bring the Taliban-led insurgency under control.

"We're hoping he's going to say, 'Enough's enough. This is what we're going to do, and then we're going to bring our men and women home,' " Matson said.

"If that's what it's gonna take, then let's do it and get it over with," she said. "If we're not going to get it over with, then let's bring 'em home now, say we lost and forget about it. We're losing too many of our people there."

Lejeune already has about 10,000 Marines in Afghanistan, and the base is expected to play a large role in the buildup, though Master Sgt. Keith Milks, a spokesman for the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, said units wouldn't know who was going or when until deployment orders arrived.

"We're in a constant state of readiness and have Marines trained and ready to go," Milks said.

Lance Cpl. Jack Marcuzzo is ready; when he was sent to Lejeune after basic training, he said, he was told he could expect to deploy right away. That was 10 months ago, and he's still preparing meals for the chow hall on base. He'd rather be cooking for Marines at an operating base in Afghanistan, where he'd get extra pay. He earns less than $20,000 a year now.

"A six-month deployment would mean about eight to 10 thousand dollars," said Marcuzzo, who's 28. "That would let me pay off my car. I've been hounding my command to get deployed, and it really doesn't matter where they send me."

Marcuzzo said he heard other Marines talking about possible deployment to Afghanistan as they came through the chow line or sat at tables in the dining room. Though their jobs would put them in greater danger than his would, Marcuzzo said, most were enthusiastic about the chance to use their training.

"For every unit it's different," Marcuzzo said. "For me, I joined to do things I haven't done, to travel, to see the world. So far, I've only seen the U.S."

Lance Cpl. Joseph Elliott, 21, just got back to Lejeune two days ago after six months in Afghanistan with the Marines' 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion. He said those serving in Afghanistan would welcome the help Obama had promised.

"We needed more troops," said Elliott, who was in southern Helmand province. He said he thought that 30,000 would be enough to make a difference in the war.

Joseph Kaczynski, 19, an airman first class in the Air Force who was visiting family in Jacksonville on Tuesday, said he favored a troop buildup in Afghanistan.

But mostly, he said, "I'm just glad (the president) made a decision. With the economy and the other distractions, it just seemed like the troops were being forgotten about. I wanted to know he cared and that he had his head in the game."

Kaczynski, who's based at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, N.C., will deploy in February to do military security. He couldn't say where.

"I'm ready to go," he said.

(Quillin reports for The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Obama faces steep challenges in new Afghan policy Obama leaning toward 34,000 more troops for Afghanistan

Should we pay higher taxes to cover the cost of Afghan war

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Analysis: Focus on withdrawal could jeopardize Afghan mission

December 01, 2009 09:42 PM

national

South Carolina lawmakers voice cautious approval for Obama's plan

December 01, 2009 10:22 PM

national

McConnell says stimulus surplus should fund surge

December 01, 2009 10:10 PM

politics-government

Congress casts wary eye on Obama's Afghanistan buildup

December 01, 2009 05:58 PM

national

Georgia lawmakers urge end to Afghan government corruption

December 01, 2009 09:57 PM

national

Alaska delegation split on Obama's announcement

December 01, 2009 09:47 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service