Some Washington state residents refuse toxic soil cleanup | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Some Washington state residents refuse toxic soil cleanup

Rob Carson - The News Tribune

January 24, 2010 07:27 PM

For most people, it sounded like the sensible thing to do.

Property owners whose yards were polluted by windblown fallout from the old Asarco smelter could get the top layer of their dirt scraped away and replaced for free, courtesy of Asarco.

All the landscaping would be replaced, right down to brick pathways, irrigation systems and bird baths — even the marigolds in flower beds.

Since the EPA initiated the Superfund yard cleanup program in 1993, anywhere from 1 inch to as much as 2 feet of soil has been lifted from 4,000 public and private properties in Ruston, north Tacoma and Point Defiance Park. In all, 250,000 cubic yards of arsenic- and lead-contaminated soil has been hauled off to toxic storage.

But, good as the program sounds, not everybody has been crazy about buying into it.

According to the EPA, about 100 private homeowners out of 1,500 in the Superfund cleanup area either have refused to let scientists test their property or — after contaminated dirt was discovered — refused to let cleanup crews onto their property.

Most of the holdouts live in the outer rings of the EPA's target-shaped cleanup zone, on parcels not as badlypolluted as those closer to the old emissions stack near Point Defiance.

But a handful live in the EPA bull's-eye, within the area most contaminated with lead and arsenic. They've resisted certified letters, phone calls and personal visits from EPA employees.

The holdouts are not eager to advertise their presence, and the EPA refuses to identify them, either by name or by location of property, citing privacy concerns. The EPA denied a News Tribune Freedom of Information request for their addresses.

"Disclosure of the information would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy," Lori Cohen, acting director of the EPA's office of environmental cleanup, said in a written response to the request.

Last fall, the EPA began ramping up its efforts to convince the holdouts, stirred by evidence that the remaining yards are more polluted than previously thought. The agency was also enriched with $5 million in federal economic stimulus funds allocated specifically to wrap up the yard cleanup program.

The EPA's resolve to finish the job was strengthened further last month by an agreement in Asarco's bankruptcy proceedings. The judge in the case approved a deal in which Asarco, purchased by Grupo Mexico, will fully fund all of its environmental liabilities in the United States, including the Ruston site.

"I can't tell you at this point what enforcement action we'll take," said Kevin Rochlin, the EPA's manager of the Ruston yard cleanup project. "The job that I have been tasked with is to convince people to let us clean up their property. It's a good program. We have the money. It reduces risk, and we really want to encourage people to take advantage of it."

The standoff over the remaining yards is taking place at a tender confluence of law, environmental science and politics, and it raises difficult questions.

Read more at TheNewsTribune.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Grupo Mexico will pay states $1.8 billion for Asarco cleanup

December 10, 2009 09:35 PM

economy

Asarco gets $6 billion award; could fund mine-site cleanups

April 03, 2009 06:09 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service