Navy agrees to study impact of Camp Lejeune's toxic water | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Navy agrees to study impact of Camp Lejeune's toxic water

Barbara Barrett - McClatchy Newspapers

February 19, 2010 06:12 PM

WASHINGTON — The Navy has agreed to pay $1.53 million for a mortality study that could show a linkage between toxic water at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and the deaths of Marines and their family members who lived there over a 30-year period.

Some estimates are that during that time, as many as 1 million people were exposed to well water at the base that contained trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, benzene and vinyl chloride.

The chemicals were dumped into storm drains, leaked from fuel tanks or were buried in pits across the base. They seeped through the groundwater and into wells that fed the base areas of Hadnot Point and Tarawa Terrace.

The main contaminated well was shut down in November 1984.

Documents that McClatchy revealed Sunday indicate that a fuel storage farm at a central part of the base might have had far greater significance to the contamination than previously was known.

Some 800,000 gallons of fuel were thought to have been spilled over the years from the fuel farm, close to the main well serving Hadnot Point — the location of the base's enlisted barracks, some officers' quarters and the hospital.

Benzene is a component of fuel and a known carcinogen.

Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina, the top Republican on the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, said in a statement this week that the new information changed the science behind the contamination.

"These revelations are disturbing," Burr said. "It's very likely that this information will significantly change the direction and broaden the scope of the government's scientific inquiry into the water contamination at Camp Lejeune."

After the revelations, Rep. Brad Miller, D-N.C., called for an investigation into the extent of the fuel contamination. Miller is the chairman of the House Science Committee's oversight panel.

The oversight subcommittee plans to begin seeking documents related to the fuel contamination next week, he said.

"The most recent documents suggest that maybe they did know and they actively concealed it," Miller said. "We need to know who knew about the contamination and when."

Thousands of former Marines and family members have complained of illnesses, including a variety of cancers, that they think could be linked to the toxic water.

More than 155,000 people from all 50 states have registered with the Marines to keep informed about the contamination and scientific studies.

Former Marine Jerry Ensminger of White Lake, N.C., whose daughter died of leukemia in 1985, had little praise for the Navy's decision, saying it should have paid for the science when it was first asked to, as required by law.

"I'm convinced they've known about the benzene in the water all along," he said. "They were hoping no one would catch it. Guess what? It was caught."

The Navy had refused for months to fund the mortality study, telling senators as recently as last month that it wasn't necessary.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus told Burr that research released last summer showed no definitive link, but senators have criticized that study.

Then on Thursday, Brian Harrison, the director of the Navy's Environmental Restoration Division, sent a three-sentence letter to the federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, which is conducting the study.

"This is to inform you and your staff that the Department of the Navy intends to fund the ATSDR in the amount of $1,530,300 for the mortality study that will address the health concerns from past drinking water contamination at U.S. Marine Corps Base in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina," Harrison wrote.

McClatchy obtained the letter Friday after it was first reported by the Associated Press.

Burr had put holds on two Navy appointees whose confirmations are pending in the Senate, saying he wouldn't let another one through until the study is funded.

On Friday, his spokesman said the holds would remain until the money went through.

Marine spokesman Capt. Brian Block said in a statement that the Marines Corps was aware of the Navy's agreement and was committed to funding science with a "reasonable chance of providing accurate information" about a connection between the toxic water and illnesses.

"Our goal has always been to use the best science to get accurate information in a timely manner," Block said.

The mortality study would compare the deaths of Marines stationed at Camp Lejeune to those stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., over the same period in order to track the impact of the toxic water.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Marine base's ex-residents, many ill, only now learning of toxic water

Bill requires care for those exposed to tainted water at Lejeune

Toxins in Camp Lejeune water 30 years ago still a problem

Controversial 'Osprey' makes combat debut in Afghanistan

At Camp Lejeune, Marines are ready to go

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service