Judges: Airport's news rack ban violates First Amendment | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Judges: Airport's news rack ban violates First Amendment

Bruce Siceloff - News & Observer

March 12, 2010 09:22 PM

The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority is violating the First Amendment with its ban on newspaper coin vending racks at the airport, a federal appellate court ruled today.

In a split 2-1 vote, a panel of the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond upheld a lower court order in favor of The News & Observer and three other newspaper companies that sued RDU in 2004 over its news rack ban.

U.S. District Judge Terrence W. Boyle ruled in November 2008 that RDU must allow the newspapers to install news racks in passenger terminals at the public airport, which is owned by local governments in Durham and Wake counties.

The appellate panel also affirmed Boyle's order that RDU must pay the newspapers' legal fees.

"We're pleased that the courts continue to back our position, and we're looking forward to putting our racks out there," said Orage Quarles III, publisher of The N&O. "From the beginning, we felt we had First Amendment protections, and the courts have agreed."

The RDU authority can comply with Boyle's ruling or file an appeal to have the case heard again by the same three-judge panel, by the full 13-member Fourth Circuit court, or by the U.S. Supreme Court. An airport spokesman said no decision had been made Friday.

"We are reviewing the decision with our attorney and advising our board members," Andrew Sawyer said by e-mail.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service