Guantanamo hearing: Canadian teen was sedated when questioned | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Guantanamo hearing: Canadian teen was sedated when questioned

Carol Rosenberg - McClatchy Newspapers

May 04, 2010 08:40 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba — The first person to interrogate 15-year-old Omar Khadr — while he was gravely wounded and lying sedated on a stretcher — was an Army interrogator who was later convicted of detainee abuse, according to testimony Tuesday in a Guantanamo Bay courtroom.

The interrogation came on the same day that Khadr had been moved to the crude, putrid Bagram Air Base detention center in Afghanistan from an adjacent hospital where's he'd undergone four life-saving surgeries on his chest and eyes.

Defense attorneys said the testimony from a decorated Army master sergeant identified only as Interrogator No. 2 showed that the military had mistreated Khadr and created a coercive environment for his later confessions to throwing a hand grenade that killed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer.

"You got a guy who is 15, seriously wounded, who has had multiple surgeries and that's the first time the United States government takes a statement from him to use in his prosecution," said defense attorney Kobie Flowers. "Now whether it is torture, cruel, inhumane, degrading treatment or simply involuntary ... I don't think any federal judge in the United States would allow that type of conduct."

Khadr's attorneys are trying to persuade a military judge to exclude any of the Canadian captive's confessions to U.S. interrogators from his trial on war crimes charges in Speer's death.

Defense lawyers said they would call Interrogator No. 1, Khadr's initial questioner, on Wednesday to detail how Khadr was treated.

Defense attorneys also said they were in daily touch with the office of the senior Pentagon official overseeing the war court here, retired Vice Adm. Bruce MacDonald, known as the convening authority, to end the case not in a trial but a plea.

Tuesday's testimony showed how much Khadr had changed since he was first imprisoned in 2002. Interrogator No. 2, an Army master sergeant with a bronze star and gold stripe down his uniform trousers, said he couldn't recognize Khadr in the courtroom, although the now 23-year-old man with a full beard sat less than 15 feet away.

Interrogator No. 2 said that he was an observer when Khadr was questioned on Aug. 12, 2002. He said the interrogation team employed the approved "Fear Down" and "Fear of Incarceration" techniques to get the captive to talk. The idea was to reassure the teen he was safe, the soldier said, and get Khadr to talk to hasten his release.

But rather than admit his true identity, Khadr described himself as a Pakistani orphan named Akhbar Farhad who was working as a translator at the time of his capture, Interrogator No. 2 said.

On cross examination, Interrogator No. 2 acknowledged that the questioning took place while Khadr was on a stretcher — he couldn't remember if Khadr was shackled to it — and that his notes included this detail: "Clarification was difficult due to the sedation and fatigue of the detainee."

Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson, Khadr's Pentagon-paid defense lawyer, said testimony would show that Khadr was first questioned within just 12 hours of his transfer from the U.S. field hospital to the detention center.

Interrogator No. 2 said he learned that Khadr's chief interrogator was later convicted of detainee abuse at a military court martial.

Canadian reports have identified that interrogator by name. He pleaded guilty in September 2005 to mistreatment and assault of detainees at Bagram. He was sentenced to five months in jail.

Army Col. Donna Hershey, who testified that she set up the hospital as the first head nurse, said Khadr was in her hospital's care for two weeks, that he arrived unconscious on a breathing tube and received four surgeries to his eyes, back and legs before he was released to the detention center.

She read from his chart, noting that he had received pain management medication and that a day before his release, on Aug. 11, 2002, he was down to have his postsurgical staples and stitches removed. No interrogations were allowed inside her hospital, she said. On occasion, she added, interrogators would appear on the wards to try to do so. She turned them away.

(Rosenberg reports for The Miami Herald)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Changes to key Guantanamo evidence innocent, officer says

Guantnamao court cleared to screen 'secret' YouTube video

U.S. attorney Bush fired now a Guantanamo prosecutor

Follow Carol Rosenberg's Guantanamo report on Twitter

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Medic at Guantanamo hearing says Khadr chained to door

May 03, 2010 03:17 PM

world

Khadr bomb-making video in dispute during Guantanamo hearing

April 30, 2010 06:54 AM

world

Khadr refuses to attend Guantanamo hearing

April 29, 2010 12:26 PM

world

Guantanamo torture claims at issue as court hears Khadr case

April 27, 2010 06:58 AM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service