Army to investigate National Guard troops' treatment at Washington base | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Army to investigate National Guard troops' treatment at Washington base

Kris Sherman - The (Tacoma) News Tribune

May 19, 2010 07:41 AM

Five Army generals promised a thorough investigation Tuesday into complaints that National Guard troops returning from Iraq got second-class treatment at Joint Base Lewis-McChord to make way for the base's active-duty brigades coming home from war this summer.

The Oregon National Guard troops, who served alongside I Corps soldiers, are "our own," said Lt. Gen. Charles Jacoby, the Lewis-McChord and I Corps commander. He said officers at every level intend to see there is no difference in their care and service.

But Jacoby also said that the generals, who included the Army's top doctor and the vice chief of staff, met Tuesday with some Oregon soldiers "who clearly had the perception that they were not being treated the same."

Others believed they were getting excellent care, the generals said.

Jacoby launched an investigation last week "to deal with perceptions and realities" after U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden and U.S. Rep. Kurt Schrader, both Oregon Democrats, complained to the secretary of the Army about the "unacceptable way" the Guard troops were being processed through Lewis-McChord's medical battalion.

Many aren't getting the health care they deserve, while others are being released from active duty and sent home too soon, their letter to the Army secretary said.

They described a long list of allegations from Guard members, including:

• The Soldier Readiness Center has overturned physicians' decisions about soldiers' care to move them through the system more quickly and make way for the return of Lewis-McChord units.

• Staff at the center have told Oregon National Guard soldiers to "suck it up" and leave.

• Requests for second opinions by doctors have been denied in violation of federal regulations.

To read the complete article, visit www.thenewstribune.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's Wounded Warriors blog

February 02, 2010 08:04 AM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service