BP sued by Florida Keys charter boat company over 'perception' oil from spill | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

BP sued by Florida Keys charter boat company over 'perception' oil from spill

Cammy Clark - The Miami Herald

May 27, 2010 07:13 AM

Captain Duck is suing British Petroleum, saying the oil company giant is responsible for his small charter boat business losing tourist customers in Key West.

Although no oil from last month's Deepwater Horizon blowout has reached the Florida Keys, Michael J. Burge, who goes by the nickname Captain Duck, said it's the "perception" that has cost him significant snorkeling, diving, fishing and dolphin encounter business over the past few weeks.

"People think the Exxon Valdez is in the Keys," Burge said Wednesday.

Burge's 3 1/2-year-old company, Key West Tiki Charters Inc., filed a federal class action lawsuit Tuesday against BP America Inc., Transocean Ltd, Haliburton Energy Services and four other companies involved with the gushing oil spill more than 450 miles away in the Gulf of Mexico.

"It's the first of many lawsuits we're going to be filing in federal court in the Keys," said Coral Gables-based attorney Alex Alvarez.

While Key West Tiki Charters currently is the only plantiff in the lawsuit, the complaint estimates the approximate size of the class will be 1,000. Because the situation is evolving, he said he hasn't yet calculated damages.

"There are thousand of commercial fishermen and charter boat captains in the Keys and everyone will have claims because their livelihood has been attacked," Alvarez said.

So far, the Keys commercial fishermen have not lost business with their fishing grounds unaffected by the oil spill.

But Burge said the charter boat captains already have been affected, and just when they were trying to recover from several bad years that started with skyrocketing gas prices and was followed by the economic recession.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

More oil problems: Spill shuts down trans-Alaska pipeline

May 26, 2010 05:42 PM

national

As oil seeps into Louisiana's marshes, National Guard fights a losing battle

May 25, 2010 08:20 PM

national

BP begins 'top kill' attempt to plug leaking oil well in gulf

May 26, 2010 03:14 PM

latest-news

Statement from Bob Kaluza's lawyers

May 26, 2010 08:53 PM

HOMEPAGE

Complete coverage of the oil spill

May 19, 2010 09:04 PM

national

BP wants Houston judge with oil ties to hear spill cases

May 26, 2010 10:40 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service