U.S. casualties to mount as Afghan war widens, general says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

U.S. casualties to mount as Afghan war widens, general says

Reid Davenport - McClatchy Newspapers

July 07, 2010 07:32 PM

WASHINGTON — U.S. troops deaths in Afghanistan, which reached record highs in the last two months, will continue climbing, a top U.S. military commander warned Wednesday because the military is trying to oust the Taliban from places they've never been challenged before.

"We are going into places that have been significant support bases for the Taliban for the past several years," Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez, the No. 2 commander in Afghanistan in charge of day-to-day war operations, told reporters in a video teleconference briefing at the Pentagon. "And they're going to fight hard for those, and that's why we expect the casualties to go up."

Rodriguez was the first commander to make to comment about the state of the war since his former boss, Afghan commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal, was forced to resign last month over derogatory comments he and his staff made in a Rolling Stone magazine piece. President Barack Obama named U.S. Central Command commander Gen. David Petraeus as his replacement and Petraeus officially took command July 4.

With growing concerns among Afghans and U.S. legislators alike about the state of the war, Rodriguez assured that Afghanistan was on the right track despite rising U.S. troop deaths, rampant corruption, growing ethnic tensions, a stalled offensive in Kandahar, a doubtful political solution and a looming July 2011 deadline to show progress.

He said he did not anticipate a change in strategy with Petraeus' arrival, calling it a personnel change. Rather, he said there was an "upward trajectory" toward establishing security in southern Afghanistan, the focus of recent U.S. efforts.

Rodriguez said that increased U.S. casualties should not be interpreted as Afghan regions falling back into the hands of the Taliban.

Instead, "This is a contest of will and a contest of threat and intimidation versus people who are going to stand up for themselves and their government, and then the security forces who are charged with protecting the Afghan people," he said.

There have been 94 U.S. fatalities in May and June, which account for about eight percent of U.S. fatalities since the 2001 invasion. July has already seen thirteen U.S. fatalities.

Rodriguez said that U.S. forces are now seeing less resistance in places like the Helmand River Valley and southern Afghan city of Marjah, the site of a major U.S. offensive earlier this year. While military leaders had once heralded the campaign in the Taliban stronghold, they have recently conceded that despite the offensive, the Taliban presence and fear campaign continues in Marjah.

But Rodriguez said there have been changes in the last week. The U.S. is gaining support in that previous Taliban hotspot and violence is falling. Rodriguez didn't have any statistical evidence to demonstrate an increased support of U.S. forces in former Taliban controlled regions.

Rodriguez said he expects Marjah to further develop a council in the upcoming months, a sign of its commitment to representative government.

"Those who think the Afghan people will let the nation slip back to the control of the insurgents don't know the Afghan people," he said. "Those who doubt, fail to consider those people's courage and resilience."

And he said that there is a clear increase in Afghan participation in their representative government in other parts of the country as well.

"Again, the important part is the people continue to participate with their government, the bazaars continue to be open and there are more and more schools open all the time," Rodriguez said.

There are currently 93,000 U.S. troops and 48,000 coalition troops in Afghanistan.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Dangerous Afghan highway threatens NATO supply flow

Obama's Afghan strategy remains plagued by problems

McChrystal: Kandahar operation 'will happen more slowly'

Next big combat mission in Afghanistan will target Kandahar

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service