BP told it can keep well sealed after scare over possible leaks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

BP told it can keep well sealed after scare over possible leaks

Mark Seibel - McClatchy Newspapers

July 19, 2010 09:23 AM

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has authorized BP to keep its Deepwater Horizon well sealed, despite concerns Sunday that scientists have detected leaks of oil and methane gas near the well.

In a statement released shortly before 7 a.m. Monday, retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said the decision was made after a conference call between BP and government scientists.

"During the conversation, the federal science team got the answers they were seeking and the commitment from BP to meet their monitoring and notification obligations," Allen said in a statement. "I authorized BP to continue the integrity test for another 24 hours."

The "integrity test" is how BP and government officials refer to the sealing of the well last week with a new containment cap that since Thursday has cut off the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. The initial closing of the containment cap's valves was supposed to last 48 hours as a test to determine whether the well was leaking elsewhere, but has now lasted four days. BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles said Sunday that the oil giant would like to keep the well sealed until a relief well kills it permanently next month.

Allen indicated in his statement Monday that he’d allow the test to continue "if they (BP) continue to meet their obligations to rigorously monitor for any signs that this test could worsen the overall situation."

No details of the government scientists' concerns were released, and the exact nature of what scientists have discovered remained unclear.

In a letter Sunday to Bob Dudley, BP's managing director, Allen revealed that scientists had detected a seep of oil in the Deepwater Horizon vicinity and that "undetermined anomalies" had been detected at the top of the well 5,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf.

On Monday, Allen's statement described those observations as "a seep near the well and the possible observation of methane over the well." Bubbles rising from the new containment cap have been visible in live video from the site since last week, but it was unknown if that was the observation Allen referred to. BP officials have said such bubbles are not unusual at deepwater wells and that they have not been able to capture any for analysis.

Government officials have been concerned that the explosion and fire that triggered the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe three months ago may have damaged the well below the seafloor and that closing the containment cap could make matters worse by forcing oil into the rock surrounding the well. Their concerns have been fed by lower than expected pressures in the cap.

BP announced overnight that the pressure, which was 6,778 pounds per square inch Sunday morning, had risen to 6,792 psi by 3 a.m. EDT Monday.

Allen's statement was his third in 24 hours that indicated tension between government officials and BP over the containment cap test. On Sunday, just a few hours after Suttles told reporters BP would like to keep the containment cap sealed indefinitely, Allen issued a pointed statement saying that there was no agreement to do that. He followed that with the letter to Dudley in which Allen demanded that BP inform him within four hours if any new leak is discovered and provide a written explanation of its intentions for the containment cap.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Temporary seal for oil spill seems to be holding

Gulf seafood to be tested by California lab

Here's some hope for Gulf: Spill-eating microbes spike

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Text of Adm. Allen's Monday statement on continuation of 'integrity test'

July 19, 2010 10:10 AM

HOMEPAGE

BP's Monday statement on the Deepwater Horizon well

July 19, 2010 09:56 AM

national

BP well, thought sealed, may be leaking, officials fear

July 19, 2010 12:21 AM

latest-news

Adm. Allen's letter to BP regarding seafloor seepage of oil

July 18, 2010 11:51 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service