Effort to plug well resumes as BP chief reportedly will exit | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Effort to plug well resumes as BP chief reportedly will exit

Manny Navarro - The Miami Herald

July 25, 2010 03:33 PM

MIAMI _ Amid reports that embattled BP chief executive Tony Hayward is negotiating his departure from the company, the effort to plug the leaky oil well in the Gulf of Mexico got back on track Sunday after it was delayed three days by Tropical Storm Bonnie.

Early in the day, a drill rig began reconnecting to the relief tunnel that will pump in mud and cement to seal the well for good. Crews had pulled nearly a mile of segmented steel casing pipes out of the water Thursday and Friday after the government ordered an evacuation ahead of Tropical Storm Bonnie.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said 39 of the 67 casing joints had been completed as of 11:30 a.m. EST. He expected Development Driller III, which is working on the primary relief well, to be fully connected by midnight Monday.

Development Driller II, which is working on the backup well, headed back to the spill site Sunday and was also expected to start the same reinstallation process later in the day.

Crews must first finish the final casing for the relief well and pour cement over it to keep it in place before the "ydrostatic top kill"operation can begin.

After saying Saturday that the top kill could begin within three to five days, Allen said Sunday that a more conservative and accurate estimate is the first week of August.

As work resumed, a senior U.S. government official said that Hayward, under fire for his handling of the Gulf oil spill, is being replaced.

An official announcement could come as early as Monday. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity Sunday because that announcement hadn't been made, was briefed on the decision by a senior BP official late last week.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Transcript of Thad Allen's July 25 briefing on the BP oil leak

July 26, 2010 07:08 PM

national

Transcript of Adm. Allen's briefing July 24 on BP's oil spill

July 24, 2010 11:12 PM

national

Researchers confirm subsea Gulf oil plumes are from BP well

July 23, 2010 09:10 PM

national

Gulf's oil slick, already waning, could vanish with the wind

July 23, 2010 08:06 PM

politics-government

Oil state Dems toughest opponents of Obama's drilling ban

July 23, 2010 05:42 PM

national

Success at containing earlier oil spills led to BP gusher

July 23, 2010 02:14 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service