UNC coach orders players to deactivate Twitter accounts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

UNC coach orders players to deactivate Twitter accounts

J.P. Giglio - News & Observer

October 15, 2010 07:09 PM

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — UNC coach Butch Davis told his players before practice on Thursday to deactivate their Twitter accounts. UNC had more than 25 football players with accounts on the social media site before the season started.

An explicit picture posted by suspended fullback Devon Ramsay on his account earlier this week and an inappropriate comment by defensive lineman Quinton Coples led to the new team policy, team spokesman Kevin Best said.

Some of the most active Tar Heels players using the microblogging service have been suspended or dismissed from the team over the course of the ongoing NCAA investigation into the program.

Among them, Marvin Austin, Greg Little, Michael McAdoo and Kendric Burney posted pictures and information about vacations and shopping trips that have drawn the scrutiny of NCAA investigators.

Austin and Little have been dismissed from the team, Burney is serving a six-game suspension, and McAdoo's status has not been determined, but he has not played in the first five games.

Austin and Little, who tweeted about trips to Miami and Washington, D.C., shut down their accounts shortly after UNC announced the beginning of the NCAA investigation on July 15.

Davis had said in July there would be no changes to the school's social media policies.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service