Florida businesses hit by BP oil spill file claims | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Florida businesses hit by BP oil spill file claims

Cammy Clark - The Miami Herald

December 06, 2010 06:46 AM

Key West boat captain Chris Lembo recently sold his rods, reels and 30-foot boat. It marked the end of Incognito Charters, his once-lucrative business of taking tourists to the reef and shipwrecks to fish.

High fuel prices, new fishing regulations and the national recession all struck the business hard.

``Then the BP oil spill hit,'' he said. ``That was the final straw.''

Lembo is among the more than 10,000 businesses and individuals in South Florida that have filed claims or federal lawsuits against the oil giant and its contractors. They are seeking compensation for damage and future damage caused by the blowout of the Deepwater Horizon rig on April 20.

Many already have received emergency interim payments.

As of Dec. 2, the Gulf Coast Claims Facility -- which is processing claims to BP's $20 billion compensation fund -- has paid out $44.1 million for 2,776 approved claims out of 6,455 filed by individuals and businesses in the Keys.

Of the claims not paid, some are still being processed, others need more documentation and some have been denied.

``I think we'll get well over $100 million in the Keys by the time it's done,'' said former Monroe County Mayor Mario De Gennaro, a member of the Florida Oil Spill Recovery Task Force.

The BP fund also has paid out $4.1 million for 462 approved claims in Miami-Dade County and another $2.9 million for 58 approved claims from Broward County.

So far, 26 lawsuits filed in the Southern District of Florida have been consolidated into multidistrict litigation, where common pretrial work is handled before a single judge, in this case U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier based in Louisiana.

Compensation for those cases likely will take at least two years, and probably many more.

Claims have come from all types of South Florida businesses and residents. They include commercial fishermen, marinas, restaurants, hotels, dive watering holes, real estate agents, waterfront property owners, lobster trap makers, municipalities and even Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in Key West.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Oil spill commission examines Arctic drilling

December 03, 2010 06:44 AM

national

Review validates early report on where spilled BP oil went

November 23, 2010 06:42 PM

economy

Scientists start to piece together damage puzzle of BP spill

November 19, 2010 04:27 PM

politics-government

Testimony: Poor cementing at BP well symptom of wider problem

November 09, 2010 07:10 PM

national

Report: Halliburton knew BP well's cement likely unstable

October 28, 2010 03:36 PM

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's Gulf oil spill coverage

May 04, 2010 04:54 PM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service