Miami bars city employees from talking to reporters | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Miami bars city employees from talking to reporters

Patricia Mazzei and Charles Rabin - Miami Herald

January 12, 2011 11:35 PM

In the midst of a nasty, public battle between Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado and Police Chief Miguel Exposito, the city's new administration has issued a rule banning most Miami employees from talking directly to reporters without approval.

City Manager Tony Crapp Jr., who assumed his post on Jan. 1, sent employees an official bulletin Tuesday saying only selected members of his administration and the office of communications are authorized to respond to media requests. Previously, reporters could reach out to department spokespeople and staffers directly.

The new media relations policy comes after weeks of political infighting between Regalado and Exposito played out publicly in newspapers and radio and TV broadcasts. Neither could be reached for comment on the new policy Wednesday afternoon.

Crapp, who acknowledged a flurry of media interest in the city over the past few weeks, said the policy was "something we needed to do anyway."

"I posted it because no one needs to be able to have a press conference unless going through the manager's office," Crapp said, alluding to a packed news conference the police chief held last Friday in which he publicly rebuked the mayor.

The new policy still allows reporters to speak directly to the Miami police and fire departments, and Crapp admitted the police chief can talk to the media on certain issues — like public safety — without the city manager's consent.

Read more of this story at MiamiHerald.com

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service