SkyWheel shuts down Myrtle Beach traffic | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

SkyWheel shuts down Myrtle Beach traffic

Dawn Bryant - Mryrtle Beach Sun News

April 23, 2011 03:09 PM

MYRTLE BEACH _ Work on the $12 million attraction on the oceanfront beside Plyler Park - scheduled to debut in a little more than three weeks - will continue this weekend, and the city has taken the rare step of allowing the work to temporarily block traffic on Ocean Boulevard during the traditionally busy Easter period. Both northbound lanes on the Boulevard near Mr. Joe White Avenue will be blocked from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. today, and possibly from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Easter Sunday to allow crews to unload parts for the wheel, city spokesman Mark Kruea said. After those times, the outside northbound lane will be closed daily until 3 p.m., when traffic on the Boulevarref="d typically picks up, he said. The other northbound lane will stay open after the early morning closure so traffic will have one northbound lane to use for most of the day.

The traffic setup was used for the first time Friday, as crews continued to work amid off-and-on showers.

"Our goal is to limit the traffic interruption as much as possible while allowing them to get some work done," Kruea said.

Extra help will be on hand to direct traffic, and the city set up additional paths to help pedestrians cross the street near the construction site, Kruea said.

"This is not ideal," he said. "It has to be done. We are taking extra precautions for vehicular and pedestrian safety."

Crews installed the 25,000-pound hub for the wheel earlier this week, and started assembling the spokes for the wheel Friday, said Chris Trout, the SkyWheel's general manager. The wheel will begin to take shape in the coming days.

The 200-foot-tall SkyWheel, along with Jimmy Buffett's LandShark Bar & Grill that also is under construction on the site, are scheduled to open May 19. Some of the SkyWheel's parts were delayed for about a week at customs at the Charleston port, and the work couldn't continue until those parts arrived, Trout said.

Read this story on TheSunNews.com

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service