Miami charter boat leaves divers in open water | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Miami charter boat leaves divers in open water

Daniel Shoer Roth - The Miami Herald

October 04, 2011 07:00 AM

It’s a terrifying thought that probably crosses the mind of every deep-sea diver – to resurface after a dive, only to discover that the boat that dropped you off is gone. And that predators in the waters are preparing to pounce. And the currents are swift and strong. And night is rapidly approaching.

All of those thoughts and more hit diver Paul Kline in the gut Sunday when he and another diver resurfaced three miles off Key Biscayne with no boat in sight.

“We were in shock,” said Kline, 44, visiting from Austin. “We could easily have died.”

Kline, a certified deep-sea diver, and Fernando García Puerta, a tourist from Spain, held on to a small fishing buoy for more than two hours until passengers on a boat spotted them and the captain stopped to rescue them.

It was 6:40 p.m. and conditions were getting worse. Waves were kicking up three to four-feet high and the winds were at 15 knots, according to Elie Trichet, captain of the “No Compromise” a 82-feet Sunseeker yacht headed back to Miami from Key Largo.

“We could see two divers with all their equipment and an inflated red tube.’’ The tube is commonly used in the diving community to signal when they come out of the water.

“You could notice a strong feeling of relief [when they saw us],’’ said Trichet, a diving instructor himself. “They had been clinging to that buoy for two hours hoping somebody would rescue them.”

The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the incident, said Sabrina Elgammal, the Miami

spokesperson .

“We were contacted after the divers were found,” Elgammal said, declining to elaborate further.

Here’s what happened, according to Kline:

The divers were part of a large group that went out Sunday with Captain Mike Beach, of RJ Diving Ventures, a Miami-Beach-based company.

Kline said he paid $85 for the four-hour trip, which includes two one-hour dives at different sites. He and Garcia had just met.

The boat dropped everyone off at one site to see coral reef and marine life. Roughly an hour later, the boat picked up anchor and took the divers to another site.

Fifty-five minutes after diving the second time, Kline and Garcia came up to the surface and the boat was gone.

Kline said they initially thought that perhaps a diver had an emergency, forcing the boat to take off, but they felt another would come along soon to pick them up.

After a while they realized they had been forgotten.

It is unclear how Beach lost track of the two. He did not answer questions about the incident Monday.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service