Oil spill fund chief says he welcomes oversight | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Oil spill fund chief says he welcomes oversight

Erika Bolstad - McClatchy Newspapers

October 27, 2011 04:34 PM

WASHINGTON — The administrator of a $20 billion fund to compensate victims of last year's Gulf of Mexico oil spill said he welcomes an independent audit of how much money has been paid out and what calculations were made to arrive at those payouts.

The administrator, Kenneth Feinberg, has drawn criticism in particular from Gulf state lawmakers who say the fund lacks transparency and consistency. Feinberg said Thursday that any criticism or praise of the program's handling should be directed at him. The Obama administration has been hands off, he told the House Natural Resources Committee.

"It isn't perfect, but I think overall we're doing our job, we're delivering on the president's promise, and I'm proud to be here today," he said.

Regardless, Feinberg took an earful from lawmakers looking for someone to blame for the lingering effects of the April 2010 oil rig explosion that killed 11 people and created an economic and ecological disaster in the region. People continue to be frustrated by the claims process and the inconsistencies they see in payouts, said Rep. Steven Palazzo, R-Miss.

They've also on occasion felt insulted and hopeless about the process, Palazzo said. He pointed to Omega Protein, a large fish oil producer that has settled its $45 million claim with the BP fund. That settlement has been difficult for small business owners, who've seen their own claims rejected because they don't have the proper paperwork documenting earnings and other information.

"We have some very smart people," Palazzo said. "We have accountants and lawyers who are trying to help people all along the Gulf Coast — provide claims and support and documentation. And as they do it, they feel like they're giving exactly what the claim center wants and they're still rejected.

"Or the payments that are being offered are insulting, they're embarrassing," he continued. "That leaves them with either the option (to) take what they can, cut their losses or go to litigation. And quite honestly, people in Mississippi? Litigation's the last thing we really like to go to."

Feinberg told a congressional oversight committee that the sheer size of the fund and the number of claims makes some inconsistencies inevitable. The fund has been averaging more than 2,200 claims a week and has paid out $5.5 billion total. Of that, $1 billion has gone to the seafood industry, he said.

"What we do when we find these inconsistencies ... we will look at it, if it's inconsistent, we will true it up and pay the difference," Feinberg said. "We are not looking to promote inconsistency."

Both the House of Representatives and the Senate have floated proposals ordering an independent audit of the fund. The Justice Department is considering how to do such a review, Feinberg said.

Yet even the chairman of the House committee holding the hearing acknowledged Thursday that it's unclear who exactly has oversight of the Gulf Coast Claims Facility, as the fund is known. The $20 billion fund was established by BP — at the Obama administration's considerable prompting — to compensate victims of the oil spill. Congress has no control over the money in the fund, which expires in August 2013.

There's "a large hole in proper oversight and accountability to ensure legitimate claims are getting the attention they deserve and that the process of administering payments is conducted in a timely manner," the committee's chairman, Rep. Doc Hastings, R-Wash., said Thursday.

Many lawmakers said Thursday that they also are concerned about unforeseen damages, particularly those connected to the long-term effects of the oil spill on fisheries. They cite the collapse after the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill of herring fisheries in Alaska — though the causes of that fishery collapse remain unknown.

Feinberg acknowledged it was hard to know how to handle claims for damages that haven't happened yet — or might not happen at all.

"We are daily, weekly, monitoring what the experts tell us about the impact of the spill," Feinberg said. "When we make a final offer, we're trying to factor in what the best experts tell us about the future."

ON THE WEB

Gulf Coast Claims Facility website for filing claims

Restore the Gulf government website

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Following complaints from Gulf, Congress seeks audit of BP oil spill fund

Gulf state lawmakers work to bring oil spill money home

Commentary: Gulf oil spill report proves prevention is everything

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service