Alleged Stryker kill team leader goes to trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Alleged Stryker kill team leader goes to trial

Adam Ashton - The Olympian

October 28, 2011 01:09 PM

The Stryker soldier who allegedly hatched plans for his platoonmates to murder three Afghan civilians last year is going to trial today, the Army announced yesterday.

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, 26, of Billings, Mont., faces life in prison if he’s convicted on any one of three murder charges. He’s charged with 13 other crimes alleging he beat up a subordinate who told officers about drug use in their platoon and collected bones from dead Afghans.

Gibbs has maintained his innocence on the murder charges ever since the Army put him in custody 16 months ago. Through his lawyer, Gibbs says the three killings that make up the heart of the Army’s case against him took place in legitimate combat.

He was one of 12 soldiers from his platoon in Joint Base Lewis-McChord’s 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division who came home from Afghanistan in June 2010 facing criminal charges for their conduct at Forward Operating Base Ramrod.

Five of them including Gibbs allegedly took part in the murders. The other seven faced less serious charges, such as drug use and assault.

Nine of them have been convicted at courts-martial over the past year. Two soldiers, former Spcs. Jeremy Morlock and Adam Winfield, have pleaded guilty to killing Afghans and agreed to testify against Gibbs.

They have testified that they were frightened of Gibbs. Winfield even feared that Gibbs would kill him, he told Army investigators last year.

Read the complete story at theolympian.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service