Occupy Sacramento protesters plan to flood courts with trials | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Occupy Sacramento protesters plan to flood courts with trials

Andy Furillo - The Sacramento Bee

November 03, 2011 06:51 AM

Pretty soon, the movement is going to earn itself a new name: Occupy Sacramento Courtrooms.

Dozens of protesters taken into custody at Cesar Chavez Plaza for late-night demonstrations against national income disparities and other issues are working their way into the criminal justice system, and most if not all of them are expected to demand jury trials instead of paying fines and going home, according to Occupy Sacramento activists.

"I'm definitely not going to plead guilty or no contest," said Karen Bernal, a temporarily unemployed union organizer taken into custody last month and arraigned Wednesday in Sacramento Superior Court.

Bernal, due back in court Nov. 16, said she is ready to go to trial "if I have to."

"I didn't do anything wrong," she said. "I guess they're forcing our hand. We can either cave in to the local ordinances or we can decide to stand up for our First Amendment rights."

Although the District Attorney's Office has declined to file charges against the protesters, the Sacramento City Attorney's Office has picked up the cases generated by the Police Department's curfew arrests over the past month and is prepared to press them to conviction.

"Our intent is simply to follow the law," said Supervising Deputy City Attorney Gustavo Martinez. "The law is that they cannot remain after hours at the park, and they're in violation of that.

"We're not looking at the content of their speech or what they're protesting or why they're there. We just know they're there, and as prosecutors, we don't have the luxury of selecting to determine who we prosecute or not," Martinez said.

Forty-nine occupiers are scheduled for court appearances today, he said.

Crowds in the second-floor misdemeanor courtrooms downtown have captured the attention of judges and court administrators. Although the protesters' cumulative hit on the courts so far has been "minimal," Presiding Judge-elect Laurie M. Earl said the system is in for trouble if the cases don't get settled out in routine fashion.

"If all those cases go to trial right around the same time, that would have a huge impact on the court," Earl said. "This may be one of those type of cases, because of the political message they're trying to deliver, that they don't settle before trial and we are forced to accommodate all of those cases."

To read the complete article, visit www.sacbee.com.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service