NBA lockout pain widely felt in cities | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

NBA lockout pain widely felt in cities

Sam Stanton - Sacramento Bee

November 17, 2011 03:44 PM

Tyreke Evans has lost nearly $400,000 since the NBA lockout began Nov. 1, according to estimates by the website www.hoopslockoutlog.com.

Kevin Givens figures he has lost several hundred dollars so far.

Guess who's probably feeling more pain?

As the NBA owners and players slug it out in court over how to divide $4 billion in annual revenue, scores of people who don't earn their money on the court are being hurt by the labor dispute.

From janitors at Power Balance Pavilion who may lose their health insurance to song and dance groups missing out on the chance to shine at halftime, the absence of NBA games is having a ripple effect that is just now being felt by some.

Givens is one of them. As a Sacramento County sheriff's deputy who has worked as an off-duty security officer at about 500 Sacramento Kings games over the last 11 years, he has come to count on the extra income.

"We get paid every two weeks, and if you work four games in one pay period, that adds up," said Givens, a 16-year veteran of the department who "loved them, absolutely loved" working Kings games.

A father of three whose wife does not work outside the home, Givens said he notices the income lost from the games that have been canceled since Nov. 1.

Read the complete story at sacbee.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service