Cuban-Americans can visit Cuba once every three years if Florida measure passes | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Cuban-Americans can visit Cuba once every three years if Florida measure passes

Juan A. Tamayo - Miami Herald

December 13, 2011 12:34 PM

A proposal in Congress to roll back the Obama administration’s broad opening of Cuban-American travel and remittances to the island appears likely to be approved as part of a massive year-end spending bill, according to Congress members.

“My concern is that this is very much alive,” Rep. José E. Serrano, a New York Democrat who has long opposed U.S. sanctions on Cuba, declared Monday as he tried to mobilize opposition to the proposal.

President Barack Obama has threatened to veto the measure, submitted by South Florida Republican Mario Diaz Balart in July and approved by a committee as part of a Treasury spending bill.

The Treasury bill is one of the nine end-of-year U.S. government spending measures rolled into one and now under consideration by the House and Senate. The two chambers are trying to agree on a compromise version before the holidays recess.

There’s been no sign so far that the Diaz-Balart effort has been stripped from the compromise bill under negotiation, and Obama would find it difficult if not impossible to block it if it remains on the version of the spending bill that reaches his desk.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service