Merced agency files re-licensing bid for hydroelectric facilities | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Merced agency files re-licensing bid for hydroelectric facilities

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

March 16, 2012 02:25 PM

WASHINGTON — New beach sand is coming to Lake McClure.

So are new grills and picnic tables. A couple of new swim platforms are on the way, along with some small cabins. Expect more trails, a playground and an aerator that sprays lagoon water on frolicking kids.

Just be patient.

On Friday, taking a crucial step in a painfully long minuet, federal regulators published the Merced Irrigation District's formal bid to renew licensing for its Merced River hydroelectric facilities. Spanning over 1,600 pages, the application and its accompaniments shed considerable light on the irrigation district's plans — and include a bit about recreation opportunities.

Before this is done, many more words will be spilled, perhaps along with some political blood.

"These are very long, and very expensive," Bryan Kelley, the irrigation district's director of regulatory affairs, said of the relicensing process Friday.

First approved in 1964, the overall Merced River project includes Lake McClure and its New Exchequer Dam powerhouse as well as a powerhouse at McSwain Reservoir, about six miles away.

The Merced Irrigation District has already been working on its relicensing for several years, and it has several more years to go. The current license expires in February 2014; the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission schedule published Friday calls for a final environmental study by February 2015.

Between now and then, a lot of people will be weighing in. Members of Congress will be among them.

The application published Friday cites some four dozen public agencies and private organizations tracking the Merced River project, ranging from Trout Unlimited and the California Hydropower Reform Coalition to the National Park Service and federal Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.

Notably, the application also cites a bill authored by Rep. Jeff Denham, R-Turlock, Calif., which would allow the irrigation district to consider modifying the existing New Exchequer spillway gates. The $40 million upgrade would allow the irrigation district to capture up to 70,000 additional acre-feet in Lake McClure during wet years.

Lake McClure can currently hold about 1 million acre-feet of water.

"We need to be able to save and store the excess water in wet years for when the inevitable drought occurs," Denham said during a hearing last year.

The Obama administration, though, casts the Denham bill as an "unprecedented" intrusion on the Merced River's existing wild-and-scenic protections, and environmental organizations including Friends of the River oppose it. It is currently awaiting House action.

For now, the irrigation district is not seeking to change hydropower generation and stream flow. This will change, once new fish population studies are completed in 2013.

The district does, however, spell out a number of proposed new recreation facilities at both McSwain and McClure. The area known as McClure Point, for instance, is slated to gain a large group shelter with picnic tables and grills sufficient to serve 90 people, while McSwain would gain a 4.1-mile dirt trail, among other additions.

The district currently spends an average of $3.4 million annually on environmental and recreation operations and maintenance; this would increase to an average of $5.9 million annually over the next 30 years, according to the application.

"These existing facilities were built in the late 60s and 1970s, so their expected lifespan will expire over the course of the new license," Kelly noted.

The publically available part of the application runs 1,672 pages over three volumes. Additional material is kept secret, in part because it's classified as covering "critical energy infrastructure." In other words, no one wants terrorists to get hold of it.

Follow Michael Doyle on Twitter

ON THE WEB

Merced Irrigation District

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Administration raises questions about lake expansion

Future of dams could pit farms against fish

Lake McClure bill could threaten wild-and-scenic Merced River

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service