Fear of new gun restrictions sparks sales in North Carolina | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Fear of new gun restrictions sparks sales in North Carolina

Matt Caulder - The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)

December 19, 2012 07:12 AM

Fearing new firearms restrictions in the wake of last week’s Connecticut school shooting, customers are flocking to Triangle gun sellers this week.

Semiautomatic rifles, such as the AR-15 and its magazines, seem to be the must-have items.

“If the assault weapons ban comes into effect, they’ll be hard to find,” said Mike Humphrey, who was shopping Tuesday at Sovereign Guns in Fuquay-Varina. “The world’s getting real messy now, so I’d rather have something when I don’t need it than not have it when I do.”

Sovereign Guns was the second gun dealer Humphrey had visited Tuesday. He was buying 33-round magazines for his handgun. He also picked up about 25 30-round magazines for his grandfather’s AR-15 rifle. Though a 30-round magazine is standard for the AR-15, some fear new regulations could restrict that.

In Friday’s shooting in Newtown, Conn., shooter Adam Lanza used a semiautomatic Bushmaster AR-15 in .223 caliber.

At Springhill Outfitters in Smithfield, more AR-15s were sold in one day Monday – about 20 – than the store usually sells in a year, said general manager Trent Lassiter.

“We are mainly a hunting store; we aren’t a tactical store,” Lassiter said.

“We keep a few of them out here,” he added, pointing to a rack that had just seven AR-15s left. “Now that’s all we have.”

Within minutes, one of those seven was spoken for.

Barry Perry, owner of Perry’s Gun Shop in Wendell, reported a similar sales spike Monday.

One shopper at Springhill bought three rifles and three handguns, Lassiter said. Another bought two AR-15s for his sons to have when they turn 18. Lassiter said the customer was afraid the guns might not still be available if he waited.

“I think this is all fear of the unknown,” Lassiter said. “They talk about outlawing high-capacity magazines, and people get scared.”

Ammo rationing

Ammunition for AR-15-type rifles has been in such short supply that Springhill Outfitters even began rationing how much some customers could buy.

“We want to have ammunition for the gun if we sell it to somebody,” Lassiter said.

A few national retailers have suspended some firearms sales.

Dick’s Sporting Goods released a statement Tuesday expressing sympathy to the Newtown community and saying that the chain was halting gun sales in its locations closest to Newtown. Dick’s also said it was suspending the sale of “modern sporting rifles” in its locations nationwide.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has pulled all of its Bushmaster rifles off the racks.

‘Beating down my door’

Clayton Guns is closed on Mondays. That meant the store was especially busy Tuesday, owner Rob Maungyoo said.

“They have been beating down my door to get the ARs,” Maungyoo said. “The phone has been non-stop. It’s crazy.”

He also said he has noticed an unexpected trend: people selling their AR-15s because they fear that the guns may be banned and they will lose money invested in them.

“They are turning them in – and people are buying them just as fast,” Maungyoo said.

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM

Congress

Rand Paul rips Mitt Romney Trump critique as ‘sour grapes’

January 02, 2019 03:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service