ABC’s George Stephanopoulos apologizes for not disclosing Clinton Foundation contributions, will not host Republican debate | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos apologizes for not disclosing Clinton Foundation contributions, will not host Republican debate

By Lesley Clark - McClatchy Washington Bureau

May 15, 2015 12:11 PM

The ABC News anchor and former Clinton White House aide apologized on air Friday, saying he should have publicly disclosed contributions to the Clinton Global Foundation.

The donations -- totaling $75,000 -- were a matter of public record, but Stephanopoulos said on Good Morning America that he should have made “additional disclosures on-air” when the network covered the foundation.

And he said he now believes “directing personal donations to that foundation was a mistake. Even though I made them strictly to support work done to stop the spread of AIDS, help children and protect the environment in poor countries, I should have gone the extra mile to avoid even the appearance of a conflict.”

ABC said earlier that Stephanopoulos voluntarily removed himself as a moderator for ABC’s planned coverage of a GOP presidential debate next February.

Stephanopoulos recently interviewed the author of a book that is sharply critical of some of the groups that contribute to the foundation, but he did not reveal his own contributions.

The book’s author, Peter Schweizer, has called for another interview on the Sunday show, saying contributions raise “all kinds of questions.”

Read Next

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service