Celebrity chef dumps Donald Trump | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

Celebrity chef dumps Donald Trump

By Lesley Clark

lclark@mcclatchydc.com

July 08, 2015 05:15 PM

Acclaimed chef José Andrés became the latest entity to cut ties with Republican presidential contender Donald Trump, saying Wednesday that he won’t proceed with plans to open a restaurant in Trump’s upcoming Washington hotel.

Andrés said in a statement obtained by the Washington Post that Trump’s “recent statements disparaging immigrants make it impossible for my company and I to move forward with opening a successful Spanish restaurant.” The statement noted that more than half of Andrés’ team “is Hispanic, as are many of our guests. And, as a proud Spanish immigrant and recently naturalized American citizen myself, I believe that every human being deserves respect, regardless of immigration status.”

Trump is renovating the Old Post Office in downtown Washington, and the Post noted that Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr., said in an e-mailed response that Andrés had “no right to terminate or otherwise abandon his obligations under the lease.”

The restaurant had been slated to open in the Trump International Hotel in mid-2016. But Trump, who has climbed into the top tier in most presidential preference polls, has sparked a firestorm of controversy Trump for accusing Mexico of sending “rapists” across the border.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” Trump said as he announced his presidential bid in June. “They’re sending people that have lots of problems. And they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Immigration advocates hailed Andrés’ decision, which comes on the heels of other companies cutting ties with Trump, including NBC, Univision, Macy’s, NASCAR and the PGA.

The response to Trump “sends a clear message: Immigration is about people, not about prejudice and political expediency,” said Ali Noorani, executive director of the National Immigration Forum. He called the immigration debate challenging, but added, “at least one answer is clear. Derogatory remarks that insult millions of hardworking Americans, including immigrants, have no place in the conversation.”

Andrés’s Think Food Group includes nearly 20 restaurants across D.C., Las Vegas, Miami, Los Angeles and Puerto Rico. He also runs World Central Kitchen to help developing countries.

.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service