Investors challenge Bank of America $8.5 billion settlement | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Economy

Investors challenge Bank of America $8.5 billion settlement

Rick Rothacker - Charlotte Observer

July 06, 2011 12:05 PM

A group of investors is fighting back against a proposed $8.5 billion settlement Bank of America Corp. reached last week to resolve claims related to soured Countrywide Financial loans.

The 11 investors, using the name Walnut Place, said in a court filing Tuesday that the parties involved in the settlement have "serious conflicts of interest" and that the agreement would "extinguish the legal rights of hundreds of other investors."

The Charlotte bank last week reached a settlement that it said would resolve most of the claims by private investors who want Bank of America to buy back defective Countrywide loans that were turned into mortgage-backed bonds during the housing boom. The agreement, which still needs court approval, is backed by 22 major investors and Bank of New York Mellon, the trustee for the mortgage securitizations.

The settlement is the latest attempt by Bank of America to resolve repurchase requests, lawsuits and regulatory investigations tied to the subprime lender it bought in 2008. With the latest agreement, the bank has said its remaining exposure to buyback requests is about $5 billion.

Read the complete story at charlotteobserver.com

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service