A week after a Fort Benning official reduced the projected impact from the Base Realignment and Closure process and acknowledged a 15 percent cut in its workforce on post, U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr. said all post commanders have been directed to study their operations to reduce costs.
“I think that is a prudent thing to do,” Bishop, D-Albany, said Thursday after attending a Women’s Equality Day luncheon with his wife, Vivian Creighton-Bishop, at the Kelley Hill Dining Facility on post. “It’s good for the organizations in the military. It’s also good for the United States of America and the American taxpayers.”
At a time when the nation is facing increasing debt and unemployment, Bishop said controlling costs is a priority for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen. Every commander in every chain of command is now doing assessments and studying how to reduce costs efficiently to carry out the mission.
The deputy garrison commander at Fort Benning said last week that projections for BRAC are now down from 28,008 to 22,148. The reductions include soldiers, civilian government workers, spouses and children.
Read the complete story at ledger-enquirer.com