Workers who built equipment for bin Laden raid may be let go | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Economy

Workers who built equipment for bin Laden raid may be let go

Janet Patton - Lexington Herald-Leader

September 04, 2011 05:31 PM

In May, after the world learned that U.S. military Special Forces had found and killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, workers at Bluegrass Station in Lexington celebrated.

"Many folks contributed to the success of this strategic mission in addition to those who carried it out," Howard Yellen, a Lockheed Martin vice president, wrote in a monthly newsletter. "Some included our colleagues in SOF CLSS!"

Yellen would know: His job since October has been to head SOF CLSS, or Special Operations Forces Contractor Logistics Support Services, at the Lexington facility, where Lockheed is doing work that is part of a 10-year, $5 billion contract awarded last year to modify a variety of equipment for Special Forces.

The contract, along with Lockheed's promise to invest $26 million in Bluegrass Station, convinced Kentucky economic development officials to approve $15 million in potential tax credits and $415,000 in other incentives on the promise of 224 more jobs at the facility.

But now, three months later, hundreds of workers at Bluegrass Station have learned they might be let go at the end of September.

Lockheed Martin says it has decided to in-source work that was being done by DS2, a subcontractor that it co-owned but now has divested itself of, according to Lockheed spokesman Ken Ross. Bringing the jobs in-house will save money for Lockheed customers, the company says.

As of Monday, Lockheed Martin said 499 workers have been affected by the change but as many as 422 might be hired back. At least 77 will be laid off, but that number could rise because workers will be competing against outsiders for the jobs.

Lockheed has not disclosed exactly how many employees were not rehired; it says hiring is ongoing.

At the plant in eastern Fayette County, members of the "Lockheed Martin Team" work behind the scenes on helicopters for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment at Fort Campbell, which ferried in Navy SEAL Team Six for the assault on bin Laden's compound and took his body out. They felt a special pride at the successful raid in May.

But even as workers were celebrating, they also apparently were worried about their jobs.

In the same May newsletter in which he talked about the bin Laden raid, Yellen, the Lockheed vice president, tried to reassure them. "There is NO large-scale reduction in force planned or envisioned that would put hundreds of our teammates out of work," he said.

Ross, the company spokesman, said last week that Yellen's comment was meant to address widespread rumors at the time that 300 to 500 people would be laid off.

"At that time, there was no plan," Ross said.

Read more of this story at Kentucky.com

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service