Sprint chief says he’ll start a price war if he can have T-Mobile | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Economy

Sprint chief says he’ll start a price war if he can have T-Mobile

By Lindsay Wise - McClatchy Washington Bureau

March 12, 2014 10:58 AM

The new chairman of Sprint Corp. says that if the U.S. government will let him take over T-Mobile, he’ll declare a price war that would revolutionize the American mobile market in the same way he overturned Japan’s.

Masayoshi Son promises faster Internet service and lower prices in return for a little regulatory flexibility.

Son heads the Japanese company SoftBank Corp., which bought Kansas-based Sprint last year for $21.6 billion. Now Son wants Sprint to take over smaller rival T-Mobile USA Inc.

Known as a blunt and sharp-elbowed maverick, the 56-year-old Tokyo businessman is on a mission to revitalize Sprint, which has been losing subscribers as T-Mobile has been adding them. He recently told a Japanese publication that the company needs “a change in mindset” and that he “sometimes yells at Sprint executives.”

It’s clear from a speech and interview this week in Washington that Son thinks a bid for T-Mobile is key to his ambitious plans for Sprint’s future.

Although Sprint opposed AT&T’s takeover of T-Mobile on antitrust grounds in 2011, Son now justifies Sprint’s own potential takeover of T-Mobile by saying that the two companies combined would have enough heft to compete with the industry’s top dogs, Verizon and AT&T.

American antitrust officials have signaled they likely would oppose a deal between Sprint and T-Mobile, the third- and fourth-largest U.S. wireless carriers. Consumer advocates remain skeptical as well, warning that a merger could stifle innovation and drive up prices.

In a speech Tuesday at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, Son made his case that the status quo in the U.S. mobile market _ in other words, AT&T and Verizon’s domination _ hurts consumers.

He complained that the Internet in the United States is both slower and costlier than in other countries. America ranks 15th in connection speed, yet has the second-highest prices after Canada, Son said.

“The U.S. has been the inventor of the Internet, but now it’s falling behind,” he said.

He described his experience reviving Vodafone Japan, that country’s No. 3 carrier, to show how he shook up Japan’s mobile market _ a feat he said he’s eager to replicate in the America.

“A Japanese-owned company had a monopoly, and I said Japan has the most expensive Internet and slowest speeds. Is that a good thing?” Son said. “So I said deregulate. Deregulate for the sake of Japan. . . . In that moment, Japanese history got changed.”

Son said he declared a price war in Japan, and as a result, “the cost for each subscriber has gone down.”

Japan uses 50 percent more data than the United States, but American consumers pay 1.7 times more than Japanese consumers, he said.

Son never mentioned T-Mobile by name during his speech, but he publicly pined for the company in an interview with PBS’s Charlie Rose, excerpts of which were posted to YouTube on Monday.

He told Rose he would start a “massive price war” if U.S. regulators let Sprint purchase T-Mobile.

Combined, the two smaller companies could offer “real competition” to industry leaders AT&T and Verizon, he said.

Sprint is investing billions to upgrade its network to faster speeds. Son said Tuesday that he wants to provide wireless network speeds of 1 gigabit per second of broadband performance, the same being offered by Google Fiber.

“We’ve got the technology,” he said.

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service