U.S. sends 16 Saudis home from Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National Security

U.S. sends 16 Saudis home from Guantanamo

Carol Rosenberg - McClatchy Newspapers

September 06, 2007 06:33 PM

The United States announced Thursday that it had sent 16 men home to Saudi Arabia from the prison camp for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including a long-held detainee who lost both his legs during U.S. airstrikes in Afghanistan.

It was the seventh large transfer in 17 months of Saudi citizens, and it left fewer than 40 Saudis among the Pentagon's estimated 340 captives still at Guantanamo.

Saudis were once the largest single nationality group among men from around the world imprisoned there after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

None of the 16 had been charged with a crime, and it was likely they would be set free in their homeland following a familiar Saudi Arabia routine of letting their families greet them, then taking them away for investigation before resettling them.

Among those sent home was Abdullah Thani al Anazi, 27, who arrived at the Navy base in early 2002. Both legs had been amputated before he got there.

His attorneys said he was with a charity mission in Afghanistan when his legs were blown off in U.S. airstrikes. They reported that he suffered chronic pain in detention and at times held his U.S.-provided prosthetic legs together with duct tape.

The military said in documents that declared him an "enemy combatant'' that he was an al Qaida trainee who was badly injured in the battle for Tora Bora.

The Saudi news agency quoted Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz, the Saudi interior minister, as expressing his "happiness'' at the arrivals, which come ahead of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. The prince said King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz has set the goal of bringing home "all Saudis detained in Guantanamo.''

With the exception of 14 so-called high-value detainees brought from secret CIA custody in 2006, the Pentagon has been steadily reducing the number of prisoners there while preparing to hold tribunals against a small number of prisoners expected to be charged with crimes.

(Rosenberg reports for The Miami Herald.)

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service