Fresno-area lawyer not shy about taking on the CIA | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National Security

Fresno-area lawyer not shy about taking on the CIA

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

July 24, 2009 03:31 PM

WASHINGTON — Fresno-area attorney Brian C. Leighton likes to speak his mind, but the CIA would rather he just shut up.

Now, after 15 years in the shadows, Leighton's lawsuit on behalf of a former narcotics officer has found the sunlight. A federal judge's ruling unsealing the case called Horn v. Huddle reveals extraordinary allegations and curious courtroom maneuvering.

"I've had to put up with a lot of (expletive)," Leighton said.

The 59-year-old Modesto High School and Fresno State graduate says he's been threatened with prosecution for revealing secrets. He's been told his secretary can't type legal briefs because she lacks a security clearance. Even a federal judge says government attorneys have engaged in "misconduct" and "misrepresentations."

And after all this, the case that Leighton first filed in August 1994 may just be heating up.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth in Washington formally unsealed Horn v. Huddle and hundreds of documents associated with it. The extensive filings depict a complicated history and one fundamental claim: That State Department and CIA officials illegally eavesdropped on former Drug Enforcement Administration agent Richard Horn in Burma.

The previously undisclosed record shows how Lamberth has lost all patience with CIA and Justice Department attorneys, several of whom he now says misled him about the covert status of a CIA officer. Some government attorneys face potential sanctions.

"The only thing I can see you've done is try to stall at every turn," a clearly furious Lamberth told Justice Department attorneys in a May 19 hearing, a previously sealed transcript shows. "You handcuffed the court with this nonsense."

Not least, the newly revealed record shows the effort poured into a lawsuit many might once have considered quixotic.

"I'm a bulldog," Leighton said. "I don't give up."

For its part, the Justice Department stressed through a spokesman that "this is an ongoing matter" and declined to comment. A CIA spokesman has said the agency takes its legal obligations seriously.

At first blush, Leighton may seem an unlikely antagonist in a D.C.-centered case. After graduating from Humphreys College law school, he spent six years as a Fresno-based prosecutor with the U.S. Attorneys Office. He's now a solo practitioner with an office in Clovis and a roster of farm clients.

Most notably, the self-styled libertarian has represented San Joaquin Valley farmers who object to paying mandatory fees into agricultural marketing orders that promote the table grape, raisin, cherry and cut flower industries, among others.

Leighton and Washington, D.C.-based lawyer James Moody, who's also joined him in the Horn case, contend the agricultural programs' compulsory advertising fees violate farmers' First Amendment right not to speak.

"He's very aggressive, let's put it that way," said Manuel Cunha, president of the Fresno-based Nisei Farmers League and a supporter of agricultural marketing orders. "His tone and mannerism are not those of a Perry Mason."

Dig deeper, and Leighton's doggedness on Richard Horn's behalf comes into focus.

Horn was a Fresno-based DEA agent when Leighton ran the region's organized crime drug task force. They handled what Leighton termed "a lot of huge drug cases," serving warrants in Miami and Los Angeles. They stayed in touch when Horn eventually became the DEA's chief agent in Burma.

"He was just a hard-nosed bulldog, a great agent," Leighton said. "He never gave up."

But Horn, an ambitious man who some considered a bit of a cowboy, ran afoul of State Department officials. He says the Burmese government was more cooperative than State Department officials wanted to admit. They retorted, in one memo, that Horn seemed to be under a "strain." Horn says he was illegally eavesdropped on.

Horn ultimately lost his Burma job in September 1993. He has since retired from the DEA and could not be reached to comment.

His complaints about Franklin Huddle of the State Department and Arthur Brown of the CIA prompted two inspector general reports. The government has sought to keep the reports secret for many years, crimping Leighton's courtroom arguments.

"The disclosure of covert CIA activities on foreign soil could embarrass the host government, creating diplomatic tensions between that country and the United States," Justice Department attorneys argued in a February 2000 court filing.

Former CIA Director George Tenet added that disclosure would "cause serious damage to the national security." Tenet's complete explanation was itself kept secret -- even from Leighton.

Horn's attorneys, Tenet explained, "lack the requisite need for access."

Such secrecy has repeatedly hindered Leighton. For instance, he cannot retain in his Clovis office certain DEA documents. Instead, he must periodically visit a "secure room" at the DEA's Fresno office.

Now, with the case at least partially public, Leighton is preparing for the next round of legal briefings. A reasonable settlement at this point, he said, could reach millions of dollars.

"You know and I know that this case is going to end up in a tragic ending if there is not a settlement," Lamberth warned Justice Department attorneys in a May hearing.

He added, "You are running up all kinds of bills ... and I don't know to what end."

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service