South Carolina Marines take Facebook, Twitter ban in stride | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National Security

South Carolina Marines take Facebook, Twitter ban in stride

Patrick Donohue - Beaufort Gazette

August 10, 2009 03:16 PM

Local Marines say there is little new about an order signed last week banning them from using popular social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter on the Corps' computer network.

Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, spokeswoman for Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, said the depot's Marines have long been banned from sending "tweets" — 140-character text messages posted to Twitter — or tagging Facebook photos at work.

"The Marine Corps has always restricted access to social networking sites from Marine Corps computers, for both security reasons and viruses," Chapin said. "Additionally, some social networks use a great deal of bandwidth that could otherwise be used to help mission-related functions."

In an internal memo signed Aug. 3, the Corps banned Marines from accessing the sites on government-owned computers. The memo says the Web sites "are a proven haven for malicious actors and content and are particularly high risk due to information exposure" and create "a larger attack and exploitation window."

Sgt. Monique Wallace, spokeswoman for Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, said Fightertown Marines were hardly caught off guard by this week's memo.

To read the complete article, visit islandpacket.com.

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service