U.S. says Iran soon may be able to build one nuclear bomb | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National Security

U.S. says Iran soon may be able to build one nuclear bomb

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

September 09, 2009 07:48 PM

WASHINGTON — Iran's suspected nuclear weapons program is nearing a "dangerous and destabilizing possible breakout capacity," and the country may have enough low-enriched uranium that, if it's enriched further, could produce one nuclear weapon, a top U.S. diplomat said Wednesday.

"We have serious concerns that Iran is deliberately attempting, at a minimum, to preserve a nuclear option," U.S. ambassador Glyn Davies said in a speech to the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency.

The sharpest warning to date by an Obama administration official, it underscored the challenge that Iran poses for President Barack Obama.

Obama is trying to persuade Iran to join international talks on its nuclear program, and he's asked for a response from Tehran by month's end. Simultaneously, the United States is trying to gather support for tougher economic sanctions if Iran refuses to suspend its nuclear work.

Iran Wednesday handed what it said was a package of diplomatic proposals to envoys representing the six nations dealing with Iran's nuclear file — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the U.S.

U.S. and European diplomats said they were reviewing the Iranian proposals and declined to discuss details. There was no indication, however, that the proposals differed from past Iranian offers, which have suggested general, wide-ranging talks without agreeing to concrete negotiations over its nuclear program.

Iran says it's enriching uranium to fuel civilian nuclear power reactors.

The United States and leading European countries, pointing to Iran's past deceptions about its nuclear development and refusal to allow full IAEA inspections, say the Islamic Republic is intent on acquiring nuclear weapons.

The six nations offered Iran face-to-face talks in April, an offer Davies reiterated Wednesday.

After its disputed June elections, however, Iran is wracked by the worst unrest in three decades, leaving its leadership fractured and its willingness to engage with the West uncertain.

It was unclear what, if any, fresh intelligence data underlies Davies' remarks to the IAEA, a U.N. body that tries to ensure that nuclear technology is used only for civilian purposes.

An IAEA report earlier this year suggested that Iran has enough low-enriched uranium, in theory, to build a nuclear weapon. To reach that goal, however, Iran would have to take the significant technological step of converting it into the highly enriched uranium needed for nuclear fission.

Beyond that, to become a nuclear power, Iran would have to miniaturize the device in order to place it atop a ballistic missile or other delivery system.

A November 2007 National Intelligence Estimate, representing the judgment of all U.S. intelligence agencies, said that Iran had halted work on nuclear weapons design and related covert activities in 2003. Iran, it also said, "at a minimum is keeping open the option to develop nuclear weapons."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Clinton urges Iran to negotiate on nuclear program

Iran's crackdown complicates Obama's push for direct talks

Iran regime sought legitimacy, but got calls for its removal

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service