GOP's Bond quits Senate probe of Bush-era intelligence | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National Security

GOP's Bond quits Senate probe of Bush-era intelligence

David Lightman and Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

September 25, 2009 06:35 PM

WASHINGTON — The Senate Intelligence Committee's top Republican on Friday pulled out of a probe of Bush administration intelligence-gathering techniques, blasting current Attorney General Eric Holder for taking steps that he said could handcuff Congress.

Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond, R-Mo., the committee's vice chairman, said that the panel should be looking at more pressing issues, such as the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"The committee cannot give these matters sufficient attention if we are spinning our wheels in an endless document review," he said.

Holder last month named John Durham, a veteran federal prosecutor in Connecticut, as a special prosecutor to assess whether Central Intelligence Agency officials or contractors should be subject to criminal investigations for alleged torture of terrorism detainees. Earlier, Bond had objected to the Holder investigation.

The attorney general's decision came after the release of a heavily redacted 2004 CIA inspector general's report detailing abuses by interrogators who exceeded even the power given them by the Bush Justice Department to use techniques such as waterboarding, which is regarded as torture.

The Holder decision has been controversial, particularly since President Barack Obama had said he wanted to look "forward, not back," at this nation's use of torture.

The White House has emphasized that decisions about whether someone broke the law are made independently by the Justice Department.

On Capitol Hill, the Senate Intelligence Committee has wanted to conduct its own look at the matter.

But, said Bond, Holder's action makes that difficult.

"Had Mr. Holder honored the pledge made by the president to look forward not backwards, we would still be active participants in the committee's review," Bond said Friday.

Instead, he said, Justice "sent a loud and clear message that previous decisions to decline prosecution mean nothing and old criminal charges can be brought anytime against anyone."

"Against these odds," he said, "what current or former CIA employee would be willing to gamble his freedom by answering the committee's questions?"

Matthew Miller, a Justice Department spokesman, said Holder "believed the appropriate course of action was to ask John Durham to conduct a preliminary review" given recommendations from the Office of Professional Responsibility, the department's ethics watchdog.

"His decision was made in line with his duty to examine the facts and to follow the law," Miller said of Holder.

Intelligence Committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., vowed that her work would go on.

"I very much regret the fact that the Republican side of the Intelligence Committee has chosen not to continue to participate in the committee's study and investigation into the detention and interrogation of high-value detainees," she said.

"However," Feinstein added, "that study and investigation is being pursued, additional staff are being hired, and the committee is continuing the work with all due diligence."

Bond countered that the committee will have a difficult time.

"The committee cannot complete its review in a reasonable time if witnesses won't talk to us," he said.

"While there is value to learning from past experiences, there are other areas in need of current congressional oversight, including the war in Afghanistan, Iran's intentions with respect to ballistic missiles, and expiring FISA terror fighting tools," Bond said. "The committee cannot give these matters sufficient attention if we are spinning our wheels in an endless document review."

Anticipating criticism that his decision would have a chilling effect on intelligence-gathering, Holder said the probe would be limited to determining whether interrogators used techniques that went beyond those authorized by the Bush administration, not single out those "who acted in good faith and within the scope of the legal guidance."

The Justice Department won't provide details about the latest investigation, which involves fewer than a dozen cases, but officials acknowledged that it includes incidents the department reviewed and declined to prosecute several years ago. In several of the reviewed cases, detainees died.

(David Goldstein contributed to this story)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Special prosecutor named to probe CIA investigations

In waning days, Bush backpedaled on terror memos

Is Obama following Bush's lead on official secrecy?

For McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service